The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
NightSight

Nights for an XD

Any recommendations on night sights for an XD in .45??

I have seen night sights that are both fiber optic and nights. I don't know who makes them. Has anyone tried these??
Old July 17, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

The sights you are talking about are from Tru Glo. They make plain night sights, fiber optic sights, and a combination sight called the TFO.
http://www.truglo.com/content/produc...gun_sights.asp
I have them on all my Glocks and I'm a big fan of them.

Beware that it is very difficult to remove the stock XD sights. You may have to destroy them or send the slide back to Springfield.
Old July 17, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3
NightSight

Superhouse Thanks. I found the TFO from TruGlo like you mentioned. I was on another forum and a lot of people were saying that they had problems with the TFOs. They reported that the sights were breaking and the glue was coming off. Also, they said that you have to keep your solvent away from the sights. How has your experience been??
Old July 18, 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
danweasel

When I make some money, I am going to go with Heine strait eights. They line up faster for me.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Superhouse 15

I have never had a set of sights returned by a customer for breaking or coming apart. I did have one set on a customer's gun that went dead shortly after being installed, one side of the rear sight died. It was replaced by Tru Glo without any issues. I've had that kind of failure with other brands, including the factory sight on my Tomcat. I don't have any problems with my Glocks and TFOs. I clean and lube with Gunslick bore foam, Hoppe's #9, X1-R, and Gunscrubber. Maybe my experience is limited, but I've had no problems. I'm going to buy another Glock soon, probably a 17L or a 34, and I'll add TFOs to it without concern.

The TFOs are the only sights that offer something more than plain night sights. Every other manufacturer (and the rumor is they're all made the same and sold under different brands) just makes a dot that glows at night. In the daytime they're no different than painted white dots. The TFOs combine the best of day glowing fiber optics and night glowing Tritium sights.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:13 AM   #6
philbo

I had a set of Truglo TFO's on an XD45 I shoot on a regular basis (several thousand rounds a year). Great at first, but after about 10 months both the front and back sights were badly cracked and glowed little if any. Truglo's customer service responded via email: "Please remember solvents and cleaners can damage the fiber optics." I was always careful when cleaning. Phone calls to Truglo went unanswered. There's a reason why Truglo only warranties their product for 90 days. Your experience may differ, but that's why I do not use their product anymore.
Old July 20, 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
NightSight

Does anyone have any idea when the TFO gen 2 will be coming out??