The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
ddeyo1

Ithaca Featherweight

Well then. Ill get to it. I have the chance to buy a m37 featherweight 16 gauge. Ive seen prices from 250 to 400 during research. Its in good shape, 50s model i believe. Anybody have any input on possible pricing?
Thanks
Old April 12, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Ruger4570

Ithaca shotguns are simply great. I never had one fail and I do and have owned a couple. I just don't know where the 16 guage is going anymore. I also still own an Ithaca 16 guage NID double that I love to shoot. The 16 seems to be a dying guage and the shells are getting more and more costly compared to 12 or 20. Reloading components are almost not available and store shells are spotty at best. Personally, I'd look for an old Ithaca 12 or 20 just to be safe. Just my opinion and that and $1.69 will get you a cup of 10 cent coffee anywhere.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:44 PM   #3
TxGun

I second what Ruger said. I'd probably still buy it, but I would want a better deal on the gun because it's in 16 ga. The 16 is a great, I'm not saying it isn't, but it's not especially popular anymore (though it did have a minor resurgence a few years back). You just have more, and cheaper, ammo choices in 12 or 20. The Ithaca 37 is a great pump shotgun...none better.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4
ddeyo1

Im well versed in the awestruck wonder of the ithaca pump. I have 3 allready and ive been hunting everything from ducks and geese to grouse and pheasant to deer and bear with them as long as i can remember. i have two deerslayers and a featherweight, all 12 gauge and im allways lookin for more to buy and horde for myself. An older gentleman ive come to know over the past few years is looking to sell his equipment to someone and kindof wants me to have it. So im looking for fair prices for everything. Trust me im not gonna let a 37 slip through my fingers even if it is a 16 (and id kinda like to have a 16 to add to my arsenal ). Im really wonderin what a fair price would be to pay him.
Old April 13, 2009, 01:24 AM   #5
TxGun

Your best bet is probably to look at http://gunbroker.com/ and http://www.auctionarms.com/ and do some comparisons. You may have done that already, but I doubt you'll get better pricing/costing info on any forum.

Last edited by TxGun; April 13, 2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
ddeyo1

thanks for the input
Old April 13, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
coldshot

I have a model 37 in 16 gauge, it is a great pump gun. It fits me real good I love to shoot it even though it kicks like a mule. real good field gun light and tough I love the ring tail fore end and the way the barrel removes. But I must admit that I have to have my shells shipped and pay for the freight, and shells are heavy so when I see a sale I buy a few cases at a time. I cant find any places in southern California that carries 16 gauge shells. but if I were you I would get it if I could. Just a great pump gun.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:06 AM   #8
ddeyo1

a lot of small local shops round here sell 16 shells. ive even found a box of slugs. to tell you the truth im pretty excited about having another 37 to add to the collection, and im even more excited that its a 16, just to have something different
Old April 14, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9
OLNfan

I have the featherlight m37 in a 12 and I love it. If I could find more Ithica shotguns around here I would gobble them up but there sort of scarce up here in b.c. canada. I have never shot a 16 gage before, let alone seen one. Im glad to hear that you can find ammo in your area and I hope you enjoy your new gun!
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 14, 2009, 12:24 AM   #10
ddeyo1

i definately will enjoy it. i feel kindof greedy with this being my 4th one, (ok maybe not )
Old April 14, 2009, 01:25 AM   #11
jrothWA

If the SN is below 855,000 have the headspace check..

for after 855,000 the barrels were readily interchangable. whereas the pre 855,00 were individually mated and headspaced.
Also the SN shoulf be the same on barrel about the 5:30 position and the SN is on the fright front face of receiver.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:49 AM   #12
ddeyo1

sounds good.
Old April 15, 2009, 04:45 PM   #13
peterz

Right jroth
My 16 is from 1953, give to me on my 16th bday
I am lucky enough to live in the Ithaca area and had several friends that worked there in the 70s and 80s.
they fitted my 37 with a nice piece of wood and a new slug barrel.
I'm not sure when they went with interchangeable barrels
Pete
PS the work cost me a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey
Old April 15, 2009, 08:47 PM   #14
ddeyo1

i live a few miles from ithaca, unfortunately the factory isnt there anymore but i was looking into buying a slug barrel for it. im not sure what the serial # on the gun is since i havent had a chance to look at it but i think the interchangable barrels started after serial # 850,000 or so. corect me if im wrong.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:07 AM   #15
jrothWA

There's a Former Engineer in Ithaca,

that opened a gunsmithing business and deal with Ithaca's.
I have used him to mate a second barrel and reblue mt 1954 model.

As far as slug barrels, few are out there but expensive.

Keep haunting the auction sites for one.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:46 AM   #16
ddeyo1

thanks for the info. do you know the name of the place? im definately close enough to go check it out
Old August 3, 2009, 06:00 PM   #17
celtgun

16 ga was popular in the South as a quail gun. 12 ga considered "bad taste"
among old-time quail hunters. Limited choices in ammo only problem, but you just have to look and stock up when found. The Model 37 is a classic, I own a featherweight w/cyl barrel. Pawn shop find @ $150. Solid as a rock.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:19 PM   #18
ammo.crafter

sweet 16

First pump I bought my left-handed daughter. Can't beat that bottom-feed/bottom-ejection.
Light, fast and swings easily.
Go for it!
Old August 4, 2009, 09:48 PM   #19
HeroHog

My 1st shotgun was a Stevens .410 single shot. My second was an Ithaca Featherweight 16ga. I drug that old gal EVERYWHERE and hunted everything from squirrels to ducks and deer with it and even took a wild boar with that gun. There simply isn't a better all purpose pump IMHO. That gal will be here and working like a dream when you and I are long gone.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old August 5, 2009, 06:18 PM   #20
PetahW

The 16ga has made a dramatic comeback as a game gun, and ANY 16 in good or better condition is in demand, commanding a slight premium.

The Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight is one of the better designs, a classic - good for either right or left handed shooters.

Their only shortcoming is a tendenancy to jam if short-stroked.

This 20ga Model 37 Deluxe Featherweight Deerslayer is the third Ithaca Model 37 I bought because I wanted a smaller, scaled-down gun
(The first was a 12ga riot gunm and the second a 12ga standard Deerslayer.)

Old August 6, 2009, 02:15 AM   #21
gak

You can at least get std Rem field shot at Big 5. Great gun and gauge.
Old August 6, 2009, 11:10 AM   #22
Waterengineer

16 gauge dead? Really?

Yes the 16 guage has a hard time keeping up with the 12 and 20 crowds but it is far from dead.

You might want to look here: http://16ga.com/home.html

The reason, IMHO, the 16 ga gets little air time is because there are no sanctioned clay games for said gauge.

Now, with that said. The 16ga is my favorite ringneck gun. I use an Ithaca 16 ga., that was handed down three generations (soon to be four) is used every fall on the family farm very close to where the Ohio Ithacas are made.

Great gun wouldn't change a thing.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:30 PM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's actually called the Featherlight.

I have two 12 gauge models, one was my Dad's, one was given to me by a friend.

I'm looking for a 20-gauge with the old style "corncob" forearm. If anyone knows where one is hiding, please let me know.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.