The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Jonathan12

Mossberg 500 Breacher, will TacStar vertical forend fit?

I'm not looking for opinions on the weapon and vertical foregrip...I've handled several, and like the way they feel. I have really big hands, so I tend to like many weapons that other people say are "uncomfortable," "awkward," or even "just plain useless." I understand there are people who love PG shotguns, and there are those who loathe them, but I have no interest in joining that discussion. I happen to be after this particular model, for fun and for home defense, and just want to know if it will be compatible with the TacStar forend.

It's a simple question, but one I have so far been unable to get a direct answer to. I'm currently looking at picking up a Mossberg 500 Breacher (basically a 6 round capacity cruiser that features a barrel with an integral door breaching muzzle brake). There do seem to be other differences, such as the nylon strap pump, but the exact details evade me.

Basically, I want to know if the TacStar vertical forend will be compatible with the Mossberg 500 Breacher. If not, it looks like I will have to stick with a normal Cruiser, which is an acceptable second.

-Jonathan
Old March 21, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Super-Dave

yes it fits.

George Orwell
Old March 21, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Jonathan12

Have you tried it yourself? If so, does it cycle smooth? I've heard a few cases of TacStar grips being a bit "tight."

Thanks for the info!

-Jonathan
Old March 21, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Kmar40

I've had or seen too many failiures of things from tacstar or ati to ever put anything they make on any of my weapons again.
Old March 21, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Jonathan12

Really? I've heard no ill reviews of the TacStar grips...quite to the contrary, I do see bad reviews about all the other makes however. Were they the items that you experienced failures with?

-Jonathan
Old March 22, 2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

The TacStar vertical foregrip I put on my 590 was VERY tight but it did not impede the action in any way. It was just hard to put on, I had to break out a plastic mallet and C-clamps. Once it was fitted and the forend nut was back on it cycled flawlessly 40 or so times at the range.

The instructions say that 500's and 590's have different forend tube sizes, it's pretty easy to tell if you need the additional spacer or not. I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

I must admit the front and rear pistol grips were much larger than I expected which was a concern because I have medium sized hands but the recoil from shooting slugs with them wasn't painful in the least. I'm also 6'5 and 340 something so I have a lot of mass to help soak up that recoil but the size of the grips did not impact me.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Jonathan12

Thanks Sigma, that's what I heard from many reviews, big but sturdy and great for recoil...Big grips don't bother me, as I have really big hands. I have a vz.52 that my best friend cannot even get his fingers all the way around, but to me it's perfectly comfortable. Then again, I also have a Claymore which fits me like a glove...

I can't stand the look of other vertical forgrips for shotguns, they never look like they belong on it...and most of them I read bad reviews of anyway. But, I will be keeping the original grips as well, so I can post a review of how the combination works out after the big gun show.

-Jonathan