The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1
troy_mclure

nutria hunting

anybody here do it?
where, what do you use?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 23, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Ricky

Never hunted them

Looks to me like a good quality .22 LR would be about all you need.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Catfishman

A scoped .308 was the most effective.
An AK-47 was a lot of fun.
I've used a .22 LR but it isn't as much fun.
Once my Lab choked one to death.
But the most fun was with my Glock 21 with a light on it. It's hard to hit a 5 pound rat in the dark with a pistol, but its fun doing it.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:03 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I've read of a few people hunting them with airguns.
Old February 25, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Nutria, huh??

Where are nutria hunted? What do they look like? Anybody got a photo? Are they good to eat?

The Lab that choked one--I assume the Lab then choked it down his own throat!

"5 pound rat," well, squirrels are "tree rats" and those are eaten regularly. My mother-in-law's fried squirrel was just like fried chicken, only no breast meat.

So: Nutria stew? Frickaseed nutria? Nutria pot pies? BBQ'd nutria on the grill? Nutria noodle soup?

--Smokey Joe
Old February 25, 2009, 12:30 PM   #6
News Shooter

I've never hunted them, but I'm not sure about the .22.
I've seen nutrias the size of dobermans on the banks of the Colorado River
Old February 25, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Photo linked from here: http://www.wlf.state.la.us

They don't look particularly appetizing.........:barf:

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Last edited by rantingredneck; February 25, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 25, 2009, 12:39 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When I fur trapped the coulees of louisiana I just lumped the animals in the head with a maple club... First nutria I had took my dern club from me so I took my little pre-teen butt home and got the .410... Got me a single shot .22 rifle for christmas that year
Brent
Old February 25, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
SavageSniper

I saw one a few days ago as I walked to the bank from work, right next to Wal-Mart in the ditch. I could have killed it with my pocket knife if I wanted to.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:00 PM   #10
ddeyo1

i had a kill permit to hunt beavers in my swamp. i just sat in my treestand with my 243, and that was ALOT of over kill for 40 to 60 pound beavers.
Old February 25, 2009, 05:38 PM   #11
troy_mclure

ive had several nutria dishes. its not bad, kinda like gamy chicken.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 25, 2009, 05:55 PM   #12
silvrjeepr

I can't stand those things. They're all over the place near the MS river banks. Come to think of it, if memory serves me right. The nutrea rats were so detrimental to the levee system that the Corps of Engineers introduced alligators to their environment in many areas (back in the 70's).
Old February 25, 2009, 08:13 PM   #13
BUTCHER45

I use a .45 caliber airgun on them here in Oregon. Lotsa fun!

Old February 25, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14
davlandrum

City where I used to work paid a guy $50/per to trap them. He had some special license from the state to do that type of work. He also had to haul the nasty things off to somewhere....

They were just destroying a park, between killing the plants and the cr*p everywhere, and it was in the city limits, so they wouldn't let us just shoot them....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 25, 2009, 08:23 PM   #15
BUTCHER45

Hey Dave,

Sent you a PM.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Catfishman

A few years ago I actually saw point of sale flyers for comercially harvested Nutria Rats at the LRA (Louisianna Restaurant Association) food show in New Orleans. I don't think it caught on. So if you want to dine on Nutria Rats you will have to kill your own.:barf:
Old February 25, 2009, 10:06 PM   #17
troy_mclure

theres several places around here that serve it. also the new orleans pd shoots them in the city.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:32 PM   #18
publius

I've never actually hunted them but have killed plenty with all sorts of guns. If I were really going after them I would probably use a .22mag or 17HMR. They are supposed to be real good to eat with a very high protein content. they have very good pelts in the winter. My great aunt wanted a mink coat, so my uncle killed a bunch of nutria and had a coat made. He also bought her the real thing and you really couldn't tell the difference in appearance or feel.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:17 PM   #19
Inspector3711

I see them around here. I live in a town where air rifles are legal to shoot in the city limits. Might have to go lookin for some nutria one of these days.

I read somewhere that there's a nutria scam. These fools convince the victims that nutria are viable fur bearers. They sell them a bunch of the rats for high$ and then split. As soon as they leave town the only customer you would have had is gone.
Old February 26, 2009, 08:16 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Is this meant as intentionally humorous? I sure hope so cuz that is of the biggest reasons for the over population...
The scammers followed the chinchilla guy into town basically and sold "nutria farms" to tons of folks promising high returns only nearing the profit margin of the "worm farmer". But seriously they were over hyped.
Brent
Old February 26, 2009, 11:38 AM   #21
davlandrum

Brent,

Are you saying I am not going to get rich with my worm farm??? Dang, there goes my retirement plan

Dave

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 26, 2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Tuzo

Police target practice

For sometime the Jefferson Parish Sherrif's Department would patrol canals with .22's and kill nutria. This was done mostly at night and amounted to good marksmanship practice for the deputies.

The creatures are rather sluggish compared to otters and can be mistaken for for the slightly larger beavers when swimming. However, most beavers swim just a bit below the water surface and nutria swim on the surface. The glowing orange teeth and ratty tail are unmistakable.
Old February 26, 2009, 10:30 PM   #23
hunter33

A friend and I hunt them with air rifles. Their a real challenge to hunt with airguns. Very tasty too.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...3/SDC10089.jpg
Old February 26, 2009, 10:37 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

33, Them teeth are what I seen wrapped around my 1 1/4 inch maple club when I was a kid... First time I ever seen one too... Dad asked what I needed the .410 for... I told him I had no clue but I was figgerin' it was a muskrat the size of a bear cub or pit bull crossed to a beaver
Brent
Old February 26, 2009, 11:25 PM   #25
Inspector3711

Quote:
Is this meant as intentionally humorous
No sir... What I'm saying is that this scam is still being worked. I just read about it online on a news site a week or two ago. Maybe they sell snake oil too?