The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 17, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
globemaster3

Is this really an admirable story? (long read)

OK, folks, pull up a chair and let's chew the fat around the campfire for a bit.

I perused the Feb 6 2009 issue of Illinois Outdoor News and inside I saw the results of their "Dandy Deer Stories". I read the first-place winner, expecting some story of inspiration, but instead walked away shaking my head. I tried to find a copy of the story on their website to just link to, but its not there, only in the print I hold in my hand. So, allow me to paraphrase my way through this and I'll tell you what I think. Let me know if I am off by your standards.

Middle-aged man walks to his permanent blind which is facing the woods at 0600. The blind is located in the middle of a large field with thick grass and weeds 6' tall.

The landowner walks his dogs by the stand twice. Nothing going on. Hunter relaxes and then...

Notices the antlers of a nice buck in the grass.

As he shoulders his gun, the hunter's glasses catch the edge of his full face mask and skews them off. "I could not see!" he is quoted as saying. He struggles to get his glasses on straight, but to no avail. Then...

"I could barely make out the shape of the deer, and he looked like he was about to run. I knew I had to act quickly or my opportunity would be gone. I fired, the buck loped 20 yards and then stopped. I had missed!"

So, hunter again unsuccessfully tries to adjust his glasses with no luck. So, what does he do? "I fired again and the buck dropped!".

The hunter then waits until all is still, then walks over to the buck and cannot find any wounds. Then, the buck bolts to his feet and runs 20 feet, stops to look back, and the hunter "points his gun in his direction and fired, dropping him in his tracks!"

The second shot hit a tine and knocked the deer out momentarily.

OK, story aside, I am looking at this and saying to myself, what an idiot! He knew he couldn't see well enough to make a shot, let alone 2, and he still tried shooting at this buck. The last shot, "pointed the gun in his direction", just sickens me! OK, so he got a nice 9, er, uh, now 8 point buck (clipped the left G1), but to hail this as a story worthy of praise by granting it the first-place prize? Now, if this were a contest for the "story with the most bull", I could go there. But this was a serious contest! The second place story, which I skimmed, was a father-son successful hunt.

I think the hunter needs a swift kick in the nether-regions, needs to practice with all of his equipment to learn that some things just don't work well (his glasses and full face mask), and most importantly, refrain from taking shots like this again! Also, I think this reeks of poor journalism on the part of the publication to even put this in print and portrays hunters in a very negative, irresponsible light. Am I alone here?
Old February 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, that deserve an award alright. The Moron Award.

Unethical: We don't take shots at game we are not confident of making.

Unsafe: Not being able to see the animal or where the land owner and dogs, not to mention anyone else, may have been.

Stupid: because of the above.

That magazine should be ashamed to publish that story.
Old February 17, 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Shorthair

I agree. There is much to be sickened by in this story.
Old February 17, 2009, 07:31 PM   #4
davlandrum

Quote:
Let me know if I am off by your standards.
Not by my standards. If it was written as a comedy piece, maybe (still questionable).

All it was lacking was a knocking over a beer in the process to make it great anti- fodder.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 17, 2009, 08:03 PM   #5
globemaster3

I am glad to know I am not alone on this. I am working on an eloquent reply to the publishers to highlight their blundering on this. Since I am not a subscriber, it might fall on deaf ears. Other than that, I found a lot of the articles and ads useful.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:51 PM   #6
HiBC

And every once in a while,someone does a less than brilliant job of packing a buck out.It can happen those antlers are on a packframe or packhorse.Yeah,I know,dumb.Tragedy often happens when dumb finds dumb.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
bolt face

You would think the last thing he would want to do is let anyone know about such an incident.
When I shoot at something I know where the bullet is going within a couple of inches or I'm not taking the shot.
Old February 17, 2009, 09:03 PM   #8
BLS700

i agree with the anti-fodder comment. That type of irresponsibility is what puts responsible ethical hunters (and people with common sense i might add) at risk of having rights taken away. You may consider posting the exact issue and address so that others may follow your lead and write in.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:53 PM   #9
globemaster3

Their website is
http://www.iloutdoornews.com/

It was in the Feb 6, 2009 edition on page 21. The story was submitted by Keith Riffle of Hanover Park and displayed a picture of the guy with his deer minus the left G1.

I've searched all over the site and cannot find the story. On the main webapge, the issue I'm talking about is displayed on the right (2 separate pix of guys posing with bucks), but when you click on the image, it takes you to the subscription page. When I do a search on "Dandy Deer Stories", "Kieth Riffle", or do an article search for the 6 Feb date, it does not bring this one up.

If I can find a scanner and put it in, I'll try and post it here.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

He may have taken a little license with the story, but if he took two shots and and couldn't really see, I wouldn't want to hunt with him.
Old February 18, 2009, 01:44 PM   #11
onthejon55

Wow how pathetic. I hunt hard all season long and rarley get an oppertunity to shoot more than once and here this guy goes out and unloads until he eventually kills it.....sad
Old February 18, 2009, 07:42 PM   #12
12GaugeShuggoth

Hunters like that are the ones I feel like punching when I see them in the sporting goods store or at the gas station. You can normally spot them real easy, just something about people that let's you know they ooze stupid all over the place.

And people wonder why we're looked at as gun happy rednecks out to kill anything that moves.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE