The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Yankee Doodle

Hearing Protection

Last month I had to undergo a surgical procedure on my right inner ear. Deer season opens in about two weeks. This leaves me with a problem to be solved.
Without taking price into consideration, what are the best shooting ear muffs available? Let me repeat, price is no object.
The doctor's advise was to either skip hunting this year, (not an option) or get the best sound attenuating ear muffs money can buy, and use them in conjunction with a foam ear plug in my right ear. He would not reccommend a brand, but if I show him the specs, he will let me know if they are what I need.
I don't have a lot of time, and need to get them before the season opens.
I have heard good things about Peltor, but have no experience with them.
Can anyone help?
Thank you
Old November 1, 2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Yankee Doodle

Thank you, but db ratings do not answer all the questions. What the MD wants to see is the ratings of the muffs at certain particular frequencies.
I need to have the mfg. specs. in order to be able to get what is required.
I keep looking.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I have a pair of these (except they are red) and they are very good:
http://www.aosafety.com/shooters/products/pas_02.htm They have very high attenuation, and I can even fire my .30 Carbine revolver at the indoor range with them -- if I'm the only one there

I have a folding pair that I like better *because* they don't block so much, for when I'm shooting outdoors, or using a .22 or .38 indoors.
Old November 3, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Yankee Doodle

Just got off the phone with MD. I had e-mailed him some specs, and wanted to know his opinion. Based on what he told me, I just ordered a pair of Pro-Ears "Pro Mag Dimension 1 Plus" muffs from Cabelas. Doc felt that these are the way to go for me. Price of $259.99 is a bit steep, but like I said, price was no object. Db reduction rating of 33, and if used with plugs will come up to 38.
Now, let's see how these work out.
Thank you all for your help.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Don P

Muffs and plugs

Most muffs will reduce db in the 30-33 range. Add ear canal plugs and get another 5 or so in reduction.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.