The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 14, 2008, 02:00 AM   #1
the yankee bandit

Can you put a buttstock on a Thompson TA5?

Hi,

I have been looking at getting a Thompson TA5 pistol. This is a tommy gun with 10" barrel, vertical foregrip and 50 round drum. This tommy doesn't have a buttstock, so it is classified as a pistol.

I was wondering if it is physically possible to put a buttstock on this model. I know the legal possiblity is another question. I can't tell from photos of the TA5 if a buttstock will fit or not.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 14, 2008, 08:44 AM   #2
SDC

They're made without the attachment points necessary, but a milling machine can do wonders in that regard; you'd still be making a SBR, so you'd probably be better off going the OTHER way, taking a 16" rifle and either shortening the existing barrel or installing an original TSMG barrel.
Old September 15, 2008, 02:08 AM   #3
David Hineline

aluminum receiver

The pistol is an aluminum receiver and won't hold up to hard use.

The mounting would have to be done custom as the mounting points are not on the pistol.

Auto Ordnance sells a factory SBR with the detatchable buttstock which would be much easier to just buy than to build one on a rifle and have to buy an additional barrel and get it installed.
Old September 17, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4
cat9x

I'd recommend going w/ the factory Kahr SBR, I have one and they are a handful of fun...you won't be dissapointed!

Old September 17, 2008, 06:16 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I saw one of these pistol at a gun show last weekend

The bottom of the lower reciever, where the stock would attach is rounded, and there are no holes for the stock screws. To get the regular stock to mount correctly, you would have to mill the reciever flat, then drill and tap it for the screws. The pistol has an alloy frame, so I don't think it would hold up well with the heavy buttstock attached, if there ever was any stress on the stock. It might, they sell a version of the carbine with an alloy frame, but I can't say how durable they are, compared to the steel ones.

Like cat9x suggested, if you want the SBR version, buy one made that way, after ATF/state approval.