The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
abs

2nd gas piston

My Browning Gold came with two gas pistons that seem to be not equal. I've read somewhere that the 2nd piston (not mounted) should be used... forgot for what and where it's written...
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old July 20, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2
MAX100

The standard piston is for all loads standard to magnum. The other is for 2 3/4" heavy & 3" magnum loads for little less felt recoil.

GC
Old July 20, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
abs

MAX100 - thank you. Now I have a question: how 'heavy' is defined for 12ga 2 3/4 shotgun.
Also, is the 2nd piston 'a must' or just preferable for 'heavies'?

Thanks again.
Old July 20, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
MAX100

The standard piston is for all 2 3/4" & the 3" 12Ga shotgun shells. It may not cycle some low recoil shells but most semi autos have problem cycling low recoil shells.

The 2nd piston is preferable for 'heavies' for less felt recoil. If you try to shoot standard loads with the 2nd piston it won't cycle them.

Quote:
how 'heavy' is defined for 12ga 2 3/4 shotgun.
The box will say something like "Heavy" field loads, Premium Magnum, MAG-SHOK, High Velocity. You get the picture. All 3" shells are magnum loads.

GC
Old July 20, 2008, 02:44 PM   #5
mikenbarb

ABS, You gun should work good with the one in it if its the heavy one. If it stops cycling light loads, Switch to the light piston. I have never had a problem with the heavy piston shooting light loads. Have you been to Thunder Mntn. lately? I was there last Friday(did horrible). I use the heavy one in mine for everything just in case I forget to switch it out when shooting heavy loads. Im sure it wont hurt it at first but after a few hundred, It may do damage.
Old July 20, 2008, 03:05 PM   #6
RoscoeC

I find it curious that Browning does not address this in their manuals, but they don't seem to.

However, if you refer to the Winchester SX2 Sporting manual (they are the same gun), you will find the information you are seeking.

This actually has nothing to do with recoil, but with having the gun cycle reliably with light or heavy loads.

The heavy loads are designated as loads of 1 1/4 oz and heavier.

The light loads are designated as loads of 1 1/8 oz or lighter.

This is the link to the manual.
http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/...rting_supp.pdf

Look on page 2.

Shooting the gun with the light piston and heavy loads will cause the bolt to limit on the rear of the receiver. Not good.

Shooting the gun with the heavy piston and very light loads will cause the gun to short cycle. Not harmful, but annoying as the dickens.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by RoscoeC; July 20, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 20, 2008, 06:30 PM   #7
abs

Thanks everyone! Browning does say something on gas piston but not in the manual. If I'm not mistaken, there was one sentence (much less informative than the info RoscoeC provided above) in the list of items accompanying the the NIB shotgun, which I discarded.

Hi Mike, good to hear from you. I go (alas rarely) to

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/1224

which is just 15 minutes away from my home and so far was never too busy on weekends, at least in the early afternoon - when I get a break from my father's duties .
Old July 20, 2008, 08:06 PM   #8
mikenbarb

I was looking at that range a few times and might go there some day when im up to the drive. I have heard its pretty a good place. Are you getting the hang of the new Browning yet?