The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 29, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1
BAGTIC

Smoothbored revolvers?

Does anyone here have a smoothbore revolver?

If so please tell me about it and your experiences. I have always had an interest in one for small game and pest shooting.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Scorch

I was under the impression that smoothbored revolvers are a banned item, since GCA68 banned shotguns with barrels shorter than 18". A smoothbore revolver would be in the same category as an "Auto and Burglar Gun".
Old February 29, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Quote:
I was under the impression that smoothbored revolvers are a banned item, since GCA68 banned shotguns with barrels shorter than 18". A smoothbore revolver would be in the same category as an "Auto and Burglar Gun".
Yup, that would make it a Title II firearm. I believe that a smoothbore pistol would be an AOW. They are NOT banned, but they are only a $5 transfer, not $200. Also, just to clarify, the act that regulated AOW's (as well as machineguns and silencers) was the NFA of 1934. The closest thing you would be able to get that is not a Title II firearm would be the Taurus Judge. It fires .410 bore shells as well as .45 LC. It does, however, have a rifled bore to comply with NFA regulations.
Old March 14, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4
w_houle

I remember someone writing an article recently about converting Super Redhawks into something called a "Paradox Revolver". Something about most of the barrel being a smmothbore, except for like the last inch or so. It shot accurately and gave a good shot pattern. It was my understanding that they did this because the usual fare of .45/ .410 have a marginal shot pattern when using .410. The only thing is that the bullets it fired wererather odd looking