The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
texastweeter

Fiberglass Barrel

My fater has a winchester semiauto 12 ga with a fiberglass barrell. took it to the gunsmith and he had to call winchester to find anyting out on it. it was made circa 1950 and was supposedly manufactuired in limited quantities. anyone know anything about these guns?
Old February 12, 2008, 06:05 AM   #2
J F Cooper

Win-Lite

That would be a Model 59, with the Win-Lite barrel,a variation of the Wincheter Model 50, It had a barrel of thin steel, with miles of a thin fiber glass wound around it. Winchester made about 82,000 of them, starting in 1961.. JFC
Old February 12, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I don't know if it was so much limited quantaties or lack of interest with the "glass barrels" They certainly seemed to work, they just never got popular like so many innovations of Winchester and Remington.
Old February 13, 2008, 12:35 AM   #4
texastweeter

No, I think (and I may be wrong) that the gunsmith that I talked to said that this particular one has a solid fiberglass barrel, and it also has a numbered medallion in the stock. Ill check next time i go see my father and see if you are correct. thanks for the input.
Old February 13, 2008, 09:19 AM   #5
ebutler462

I have one of those lightweight wonders. It is indeed a thin steel wrapped barrel. The main reason I don't use it is that it is unbalanced with the light barrel. It is very reliable, never failed me the few times i used it. Methinks I gave it to my son last year.

I would not be afraid to shoot heavy loads in it except for the recoil.
Old February 13, 2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Model 59s still out there have lots of happy owners.

Many of those owners hunt grouse and woodcock in tight cover. Often that cover occurs on steep hillsides. A 6 lb shotgun that points quick works better for many of us than a more traditionally balanced repeater.

Enjoy yours.....