The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
thejeanmachine16

Scent Loc

Does anyone have the Scent Loc suits? What do you think of them, are they worth the price tag?
Old October 10, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2
hunter33

It seems like they kinda ware out after awhile kinda like hunting boots after a couple of seasons they leak water... i just use the stuff in the bottle evertime i go hunting.
Old October 10, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
davlandrum

I am slowly buying scent-loc as my older stuff needs replaced. I haven't had any long enough to answer the longevity question. I will say the stuff I have got with scent-loc seems very well made and should last a long time.

My stuff does double duty as bow-hunting gear and rifle gear. If I was going strictly rifle, I probably would not spend the extra, but bowhunting I figure I need every edge I can get.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 18, 2007, 03:45 AM   #4
CamoCop

scent-lok is being sued right now for false advertisement. i try to limit my scent but i refuse to buy over priced clothing that is too hot to wear in our 90+ degree weather anyhow.
Old October 18, 2007, 06:12 AM   #5
king.460

Scent Loc MAY work, but a good shower with camo soap, unscented deodorant, clean clothes and A FACE IN THE WIND are guaranteed to work better.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
A FACE IN THE WIND
Yep, that's the one right there. I bowhunted for 20 years, and that always worked for me. Never used ScentLock. ScentLock suits may work, but they are pricey and need special handling. With my hunting gear, if it's that much trouble, I leave it at home.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
ZeroJunk

I have bowhunted many seasons in a wilderness where you were 20 miles from a shower.I usually wash my face and butt with a dishpan of water warmed on the stove.Wash my hair in the river which instantly numbs your head from the cold.I'm not tough enough to take a bath in it.
Anyhow after a couple of days you can smell yourself.A mixture of BO,woodsmoke and horse.
Never tried scentlock but it would be cool if it worked.I have had several cows smell me over the years when you just couldn't get ahead of the wind.
Old October 19, 2007, 06:33 AM   #8
king.460

Bet those cows upwind didn't smell you, though.
Old October 19, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
buck460XVR

IMHO...it's not as simple as "forget the wind, just hunt".
Old October 19, 2007, 08:11 AM   #10
kayakersteve

460XVR - With that piece you can forget the wind and shoot the deer at 200 yards!!!!!
Old October 19, 2007, 09:00 AM   #11
MEDDAC19

Scent Loc suits are very good at doing exactly what their manufacturers want. They are superb at separating money from hunters that think this product will actually work like they say it will.
Old October 19, 2007, 01:20 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I'm in the skeptical camp.

1. They *may* not work AT ALL (see lawsuit).
2. If they do work, they lose their effectiveness over time, from what I understand - not a good investment.
3. You STILL have to pay attention to scent details, and not be a sweaty pig - no suit can contain sweat/scent on your face and other exposed areas, and a heavy scent can escape the confines of the suit at the open areas: neck, arm & leg cuffs.
4. If you rely on them too much, then this may cause you to not pay sufficient detail to your other scent-discipline activities, and you will then be worse off than without the suit.
5. They are VERY expensive.

I think I'll pass and focus more on cleaning existing hunting clothes & gear with scent-free, and otherwise practicing scent-discipline.