The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1
CJ1979

New Coach Gun (HELP!)

Just bought a new Stoeger Coach gun. The base model. Was a fan of the Silverado model with an English stock, but since I plan to use this gun for home defense purposes I decided against spending the extra money for it. I have shot the gun with 2-3/4" Winchester Supreme 00Buck, and it was not unmanageable, just unpleasant.

I was wondering if anyone had any general thoughts on this weapon, if anyone knew what choke the barrells were, and if anyone would like to suggest some good loads for home defense, field use, and target shooting-I would be glad to hear it.
Old March 15, 2007, 11:46 PM   #2
banditt007

if it has fixed chokes, i'm pretty sure its cylinder bore. home defense 2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck or regular #1 buck 2 3/4. clay targets 7.5-#8 low payload like 1oz or 1 1/8 oz, aka cheap promo loads. for the field depends what exactly you are doing. it could range from slugs to target loads depending on the animal. prob better off w/ a pump shotgun for home defense with like 3+ rounds. but whatever makes you comfortable. a shot up bad guy isnt going to say that a double barrel shotgun didnt hurt/didnt work. just remember you got two shots.

If the barrels are indeed cylinder choke you are seriously handicapped in the field since all shots must be close before the pattern spreads out too much. would be a good gun for jumping rabbit.
Old March 16, 2007, 12:23 AM   #3
sam3

the right barrel should be improved cly. and the left barrel modified choke.
Old March 17, 2007, 12:46 AM   #4
David Berkowitz

CJ,
I think you're looking for a shotgun that does everything, and the Stoeger Coachgun will do it. It just won't do it as well as specialized guns will.
You already bought the gun, so talking quality and durability won't really matter. For home defense, you might consider a pump next time. Your Coachgun only holds two rounds.
What kind of a place do you live in? 00 buck will be very effective, but if you have dry walls, you might have over penetration. You could consider #8 high velocity sporting loads. Turns steak into hamburger very quickly.
Use the modified choke for trap out at the 16 yd line. Maybe a little farther. I've done it and it works, just not as well as a trap gun.
They do handle lively and will get on target quickly.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.