The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1
The Terminator

The 45/70 and the Scout Scope

I got my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and Leupold FX-11 4x scope put together last weekend. I sighted it in today. It was incredible that it would shoot a hole dead center in the little bullseye, every single time that I shot it, after I got it sighted in.

Like all of my rifles, I sighted it in dead on at 25 yards. This puts it about 3" high at 100 yards. It is dead on down range at 150-250 yards, depending on the caliber. I'd guess that the 45/70 is back, dead on, at around the 150 yard mark. I read this in one of Jack O'Conors books when I was a youth, and I have always subscribed to this method. It has always worked well for me. Unfortunately, I didn't have time today to get over to the 100 yard shooting lane and double check it. I only got to sight the scope in at 25 yards. Nonetheless, the porting took most of the recoil, and the Scout Mount setup was a dream to shoot. When I finish this and the other box of factory ammo that I have, it will never see store bought ammo again. A casting and set of dies is in the works.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old February 3, 2007, 09:37 PM   #2
DonR101395

I love my 45-70 scout set up as well. I just put it together 3 weeks ago on an 1895 I've been shooting almost twenty years. The eyes just ain't what they used to be I wish I would have done it years ago.
Old February 4, 2007, 09:34 PM   #3
stolivar

silly boy

You always need to double check at 100 yards, if you sight in at 25 yards.

steve
Old February 4, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4
The Terminator

Quote:
You always need to double check at 100 yards, if you sight in at 25 yards.
Do you think so?

When I have my next range session it will be the first thing I do, as indicated. Windage can be off a lot if left to the 25 yard mark. However, it 25 yards is the best starting point. Most of the time, the rifle will hit the paper somewhere at 25 yards. It is much more fun to do this, than to pay $12 (at my range) to get it bore sighted.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)