The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 10, 2006, 07:11 PM   #1
74camaroman

Iver Johnson and cycle works

My neighbor was given a hand gun, a .32 caliber IVER jOHNSON AND CYCLE WORKS was printed on the top of the barrel. It is a chrome plated gun with 90% of the plating peeling off, has seen better days. It has some numbers on the butt of the grip but almost impossible to read. The gun brakes down by pressing a knob just in front of the hammer and the barrel hinges just in front of the trigger guard. It is a double action, 5 shot 32 caliber but I have never heard of this gun maker other than them making M1 carbines. Can anyone give me some information on this gun as to when it was manufactured? I wish that I could supply more information but the numbers are just inpossible to read. Thanks Bob
Old November 10, 2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Bob, it sounds like you might be describing an Iver Johnson Safety Hammer model. Try visiting the link below and look at the pictures there to see if any match you neighbor's revolver.

http://www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/ij-pix.htm

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old November 12, 2006, 09:37 PM   #3
mete

Why did they make revolvers and bicycles ? Because in the late 1800s police often rode bicycles !!! Just like some do today !
Old November 15, 2006, 05:33 PM   #4
RJay

74camaroman, Iver Johnson probable ( no, I know they did) made more handguns than Smith and Wesson and Colt put together. In fact the carbine copy ( they bought out Plainsfield) was just a small late footnote in their story.
Old November 15, 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
michael t

I have a top break in 38S&W not the best caliber but a nice little piece of history. I shoot mine now and then . Hav ever been knowned to drop in pocket and carry. Their not worth a whole lot but I like mine and I guess that what matters.
Old November 16, 2006, 12:45 AM   #6
74camaroman

I want to thank everyone for their input on this Iver Johnson .32 pistola. I like the webb site and found out some more information. On the bottom of the trigger guard it has the numbers 58551 and on the butt of the grip it has PAT 25 Aug and then what looks like 06 and below that it says Pat Pending. I plan to take the grip off and see what code is under the grip. It looks like the one in the picture. I made a mistake when I stated that 90% of the chrome is worn off, only about 40 is missing but the chrome has little pitt missing chrome or nickel if you prefer to call it that. My neighbor asked if it was even feasible that he could have the gun re-nickeled, I told him to keep it just the way it is, because it would be worth more to someone looking for a gun like that. I had to use a 10 power Loop just to read the numbers on the butt bottom. Again thank you for giving me such good information. Bob