The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2006, 06:11 PM   #1
17asleep

mauser action?

I have had this action laying around for a while now and I am curious as to what it might be. From discriptions that I have read it could possibly be a Mannlicher-Schoenauer except for the bolt handle isnt right. There isnt a name stamped on the action or on the barrel anywhere, just some seemingly random nubers here and there and 6.5 MM on the top of the barrel just ahead of the action. anyhoo here are some pictures. Hope someone can help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (30.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg kinda top view.JPG (30.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpeg underneath.jpeg (34.5 KB, 74 views)
Old September 4, 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Looks like a Mannlicher - Carcano.
Italian surplus.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:01 PM   #3
deadin

From what I can make out in your pictures, it's a Mannlicher-Carcano, not a Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

Dean
Old September 5, 2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Scorch

Roger that.
1891 Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5X50mm Italian service rifle.
Old September 5, 2006, 10:43 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It isn't worth much as a barrelled action, except maybe for parts. AFAIK there are no stocks available and firing it as a repeater will require the trigger guard and magazine well. It uses an en-bloc, six shot clip, which clip drops out the bottom when it is empty, a typical Mannlicher design. Since it is marked "6.5" that is probably one of those that was originally made in 7.35mm and then converted to the older 6.5 during WWII to avoid making two kinds of ammo, not to mention the supply problems involved.

Jim
Old September 6, 2006, 08:57 PM   #6
17asleep

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning to rebarrel with a 22.250 or a 220 swift and making my own stock for it. I have done two others and would really like to do another.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:39 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you plan to make it a single shot, I don't know how you will get a magazine for it. The original magazine won't work, since neither of those rounds will fit in the clip. You could, I guess, fit a Mauser type magazine, though I don't have any idea what might work, or set a spring cartridge holder into the magazine wall as was done with the German 1888 rifles. It would be a whole lot of work for not much, since the gun is not usually considered among the best for sporterizing, in part because the Mannlicher type receiver makes low scope mounting impossible. Those Italian Carcanos once sold for around $15 (I think Lee Harvey Oswald paid about that for his), and inflation has brought them only up to some $100-150.

Also, while those actions are better than many folks give them credit for, they were designed around a 40k psi pressure level, not the 52k+ of the .22-250. You would also have to open up the bolt face, but that is a minor detail if you get past all the other problems.

Jim
Old September 28, 2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Scorch

I rebarreled a Carcano one time to 35 Rem. It has approximately the same pressure levels and cartridge OAL as the Carcano. Since you have a split bridge, you will have problems mounting a scope over the reciver, but you can mount a LER scope on the barrel, and 35 Rem makes a good deer rifle.

I would never chamber that action for a hi-pressure round like the 22-250.