The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2000, 09:37 AM   #1
Icopy

I recently purchased a 1990 MKIII with very little use. Last night after a range session, I field stripped it for cleaning. I noticed something strange on the rear locking lug. On the right side of the rear lug, there is a scrape on the top of the lug. I checked the locking lug recess in the slide and there is no burr that would cause this. At least none that I could see. I'm shooting PMP and Wolf ammo, both 115 grain. Is this scrape normal?
Old June 19, 2000, 07:18 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Icopy, it doesn't sound like normal wear but the scrape was probably there when the pistol was first assembled. This probably isn't what you want to hear but as long as it's functioning properly I wouldn't worry about it. George
Old June 19, 2000, 08:57 PM   #3
nwgunman

Icopy: How big is this "scrape"? Is it possibly a "tool mark" as George is implying? I checked both mine and they look fine, but I do see very fine "scratches" that I have never bothered to notice until now. Most likely from manufacturing. If you're talking about some humungous chunk missing from the lug, you'd best have it checked out. Stay safe.
Old June 20, 2000, 08:00 AM   #4
Icopy

I guess it could be a tool mark. Thanks guys, I was worried there a minute.