The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 1999, 01:05 PM   #1
Macoute

As a newcomer to 1911s- is the installation of an ambi safety a job that a fairly mechanically inclined person can accomplish or is it a "gunsmith only" job? I did a little math and figured that I could ruin 2 or 3 safeties tring to get it right and still break even with the price for a professional installation. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 31, 1999, 01:17 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Macoute, you're kidding. I install ambis or any other 1911 safety for $15.00. This is a job that you can do yourself but if you've never done it you need a good reference. About the best and most straightforward I've seen is a book that Brownells (515) 623-5401 sells called Custom Touches. It doesn't cover a whole lot but what it does go over is very simply explained and well illustrated. If you take too much metal off of your first attempt e-mail me and I'll explain how you might be able to save the safety by stretching it. George
Old July 31, 1999, 01:57 PM   #3
Macoute

I'm not kidding. There is only one gunsmith in town that is somewhat reputable and he is very proud of his work-atleast his prices reflect it! Thanks.
Old August 2, 1999, 07:19 AM   #4
HS

If only Macoute asked me....
Just to show I'm a nice guy go to<a><a href="http://www.larue-targets.com/part7.html"> How to Build Up a 1911 Pistol</a>
Now who's next ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Old August 2, 1999, 08:45 AM   #5
fubsy

the only thing id add to the info you have received is to take sparingly the material off of the parts especially the stock panel, ive had problems with a stock that had too much material removed and replaced it with one that i slowly removed material from and I no longer had problems after that area was straightned out.....fubsy.
Old August 7, 1999, 08:38 AM   #6
Macoute

Gentlemen,

I installed the safety last night and it works like a charm. Thanks for the tips. BTW, the Custom Touches book was very helpful. Thanks again.
Old August 7, 1999, 09:25 PM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Congratulations Macoute! Now, is the job worth more than $15.00? George
Old August 7, 1999, 10:03 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Malcoute,

With apologies to George and all our real gunsmith members out there, welcome to the ranks of plumbers! With a some mechanical inclination, patience and desire, a lot of jobs aren't all that hard to do. OK, reaming a chamber should be left to the pros.

4v50 Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt