The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2005, 07:02 PM   #1
horseshoer

700 remington bolt

my 700 remington 30-06 isnt firing. when i pull the trigger all i get is a big click and the cartrage doesnt fire. it sounds like to me that the click is the firing pin but maybe it isnt making contact with the cartrage. any thoughts or suggestion? buy a new bolt?

thanks in advance.
Old October 17, 2005, 09:37 PM   #2
DnPRK

Take the bolt apart. I'd bet that there is some debris in the firing pin channel within the bolt.
Old October 18, 2005, 06:29 PM   #3
horseshoer

well i took the bolt apart and cleaned it real well. put it back together and the same thing happens. it sounds like the gun is being dry fired. the firing pin looks to operate correctly while the bolt is out of the gun but i noticed that when installed in the rifle the pin isnt going far enough to make contact with the primer.
Old October 18, 2005, 06:54 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is it a new gun? Did it fire OK before the problem started? Are you sure that you got everything out of the inside of the bolt? Did you (or someone else) ever work on the bolt before, maybe to reduce spring tension?

Jim
Old October 18, 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
horseshoer

gun is about 15 yrs old. bolt has never been apart until now.

as you can tell, i know nothing about guns other than how to pull the trigger.

i might be wrong but i think it has to do with the part in the trigger asymbly that allows the firing pin to slide forward in the bolt. its like it hangs up but only when the bolt is in the rifle.

i guess i just need to take it to a smith.
Old October 18, 2005, 09:06 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

hmmm

This could be a two fold problem you are having. If the gun has too much headspace, the firing pin won't be able to hit the primer since it will be too far off from the primer. The only way to check this is with a headspace gauge. I would have the gun checked for headspace as well as checking the actual protrusion of the firing pin. The minimum firing pin protrusion is .040". Push the firing pin out of the bolt face and measure it using a set of dial caipers, or a depth mic. It has to protrude at a minimum of .040" or you won't get reliable fires when the tip hits the primer.

There are several reasons why it won't protrude this much, not the least of which will be a broken firing pin. The cure for this is either a new striker or having the firing pin retipped. You can easily put a new one in, but a smith could retip it for you as well and most likely cheaper. I would make sure the hole in the bolt where the pin protudes isn't blocked by a sliver of brass which can and will limit the firing pin from coming all the way out. Make sure to visually check it for any debris.

Good luck with it. Hopefully it is simply some debris that is blocking the tip from sticking out far enough. I would remove the striker and then wash out and blow it clean making sure to get all debris and or carbon out as well. Then put it back together and check overall tip protrusion. If it is too short, then either order a new striker, or head for a smith to have it retipped.