The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 2005, 08:19 PM   #1
jroth

redoing aluminum anodizing

M500 got a number of scratchs in reciever, who coould redo it?
Thanks!
Old September 7, 2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Motorbike

anodizing reciever

Anodizing must first be stripped before a new anodize can be done. The strip will cost you about as much as the new finish. Most plating shops do anodizing but they have a minimum charge. Bottom line; it will be expensive. I have a left hand Remington 870 needing a refinish and am considering the Duracoat route because I can do it myself. Do a search for "Duracoat". and think about this method instead.
Old September 7, 2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I'd check with Mossberg.
They made it, and likely, they'll refinish it, probably cheaper than anyone else.

Of course, the above advice about doing a "spray and bake" home refinish will be cheaper than anything, plus you can pick your color, from gloss black, flat black, camo, OD Green, etc.
Old September 7, 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Edward429451

Simple Green strips anodizing real well. Ask me how I know.

Luckily it was just a flash hider.
Old September 7, 2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Simple Green, Forumula 409, Fantastik, numerous commercial de-greasers. All are alkaline enough to etch aluminum. So will a strong solution of baking soda, if you leave it long enough.

Nick
Old September 8, 2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Motorbike

addendum to above...

I believe some of these cleaners will strip "soft" anodizing, but we may be dealing with "hard" anodizing" on a reciever. There is a huge differance. I bought an "inspection sticker plate" for my motorcycle a couple years ago that was anodized aluminum. Just rain and an occasional car-wash has removed the anodizing. I suspect if that had been mil-spec hard anodizing that it would not have done so. A funny thing happened a few years ago when I went to the home of a friend of a friend to look at the Remington 870 I now own. He had it laying under his bed and was shocked that there were large spots of blueing missing from the barrel and reciever. I took one look and told him "your wife's cat pissed on it". Yep, urine removes blueing right now! Bought it on the spot cheap!
Old September 17, 2005, 01:13 PM   #7
shootz

Easy off

will remove just about any Anodizing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nemesis-2sm.jpg (22.0 KB, 65 views)
Old September 19, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Mike in Michigan

870 receiver finish

I just refinished a Winchester 190 using Brownells Alumi-Hyde epoxy paint. I bead blasted all the old finish off, dipped in laquer thinner and blew off with CLEAN, DRY shop air. Left the part sitting on the hood of the pickup for ten minutes to warm up and applied the paint (back in the shop) according to the instructions on the can. Turned out very nice. Not anodizind, but very serviceable. Remember to let it set for a few days to fully cure the epoxy. Also, use some common sense to mask off anything you do not want the paint to cover.