The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2004, 08:41 PM   #1
ds1300

Scope Slipping Under Recoil

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .300 Win Mag. I mounted a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 4-12x42mm scope on it using Millett Angle-Loc rings for the proprietary CZ integral base. Now the scope creeps forward during shooting. The two ring halves came all the way together when tightened so I removed them and filed some material off the top half so it could clamp down tighter. The scope still creeps forward. The gun is fairly heavy (9.3 lbs.) and I am using factory Remington 180 grain loads so it doesn't seem to recoil really hard. Any help is greatly appreciated. I thought about using a B-Square base adapter so that I could use weaver style rings on it and try some stronger rings such as Leupold PRW. Please help!

Last edited by ds1300; September 10, 2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old September 10, 2004, 09:18 PM   #2
steveno

a problem could be is that you have a 50 mm lens on your scope and in order to use it it is mounted quite high. the higher you mount scope the more affect recoil is going to have. weaver scope mounts don't look very fancy but if anything will hold the scope in place they will. otherwise go to a scope with a smaller lens on it like a 40 mm. I have compared a number of scopes side by side with 40 and 50 mm lens and I sure couldn't see the difference in them
Old September 11, 2004, 12:28 AM   #3
gundoc

You might also try lightly scuffing the inside of the rings with 80 grit paper to get a better grip on the scope, but I would change rings.
Old September 11, 2004, 12:47 AM   #4
leadbutt

Get rid of the Millet,they're cheap rings and your beter off with Talley's/ Weavers or the Leopuld's,or the newer Burris

Did you make sure the rings where straight and fit all the way around?
If they are not then you would need to lap them.

If you don't want to change rings try a couple of things, if your Millet's are the ones with grooves in them apply a piece of double sided 3m tape in the bottom half, or try some rosin. If they are not grooved you can still do the same thing ,and or just place a couple or drops of blue loctie in the bottom half .
Old September 17, 2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Mister_Dinky

I generally make sure the scope and rings are totally grease free then put a dab of blue Loctite on the bottom half of the rings before setting the scope in. I also use some on the screws to make sure they don't back out.
So far, so good.
YMMV
Old September 29, 2004, 01:23 AM   #6
insaneone56

One trick I have seen done and used it myself is to take a peice of we/dry sandpaper (small strip) and double it so you have sandpaper inside and out.The reason for wet/dry is that it is as thin as I have found.Lay a small strip in the base of both rings and put together as normal.The scope will not move on you again.
Old October 17, 2004, 01:09 PM   #7
Wallew

I've ALSO use cork gasket material you get from the auto parts stores in wide rolls. Cut a strip about HALF the length and width of the rings. One for each ring. DO NOT APPLY ANY ADHESIVE. Install. Tighten rings as normal. Problem is NORMALLY SOLVED.

Plus it also adds a bit of vibrations damping effect, if you are having that kind of problem.