The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2002, 02:54 PM   #1
H&H,hunter

Broadheads?? What works??

A question to all of you bowhunters out there. I am just getting back into bow hunting after 15 years. Man have things changed!!!

I have been getting advice on broadheads from all kinds of people there seems to be two different schools of thought.

A. Never use a mechanical broadhead beacuse of poor penetration.

B. the new mechanical broadheads sre awesome and penetrate like a laserbeam.

I will be primarliy hunting hogs, my new bow is a Matthews Q2, I am using carbon arrows at some ungodly speed (at least as far as what I used to shoot.)

My limited experience tells me that an old fashioned two bladed long deep swept broadhead is the best penetrater. What is it guys and what works best withe these new ultra velocity set ups?
What flys best? And what hits hardest?
Old December 12, 2002, 04:42 PM   #2
one-shot-one

broadheads

i've shot koplin twisters (maybe out of production now) and muzzy's. have taken deer with the koplin's broadside hit at 25 yrds. from a 58 lb. cam-bow, broke a rib going in poped heart and broke a rib going out, never found the arrow (full length alluminum easton) ,deer went 10 yards and droped. most well made 'heads will work well if placed right. good luck finding your arrows out of that magnum your shooting.
Old December 12, 2002, 05:43 PM   #3
James F. Walsh

I'm also a Mathews shooter. I also shoot at 270+ feet per second. I hunt with Goldtip XT Hunter carbon arrows and I use Rocky Mountain Titanium 100's. I have taken several whitetails and two black bears with them and have no complaints. Don't be afraid to try a couple different broadheads and see which shoots best and, most importantly, gives you the confidence it will perform as you desire. For a real archery site take a look at bowsite.com. Good luck.
Old December 12, 2002, 06:20 PM   #4
CD1

I use Thunderhead 125 grain fixed blade broadheads. I currently shoot a Hoyt Havoc (310 fps), used to shoot a Jennings Carbon Extreme (260 fps). Both setups had no problems with the Thunderheads. I have yet to hit a deer broadside where my arrow didn't pass all the way through the deer.

I would think that any well made broadhead would work well. The trick is to PRACTICE WITH YOUR BROADHEADS. A lot of people shoot field points, and assume the broadheads will fly the same...odds are they won't.

I don't use mechanicals so I don't know anything about them.
Old December 12, 2002, 07:18 PM   #5
HSMITH

Splitfire mechanicals have been a deathray for me, they work VERY well. I will put in a second vote for the rocky TI broadheads too, they also work well.
Old December 12, 2002, 07:54 PM   #6
PALongbow

I'm a stickbow shooter so my answer to your question is use the reliable two to three blade cut on impact broadhead such as Magnus.

Ron
Old December 12, 2002, 08:16 PM   #7
Rmouleart

I use Thunderhead 125 grain fixed blade broadheads,Easton 2215 28 inch arrows, Im shooting a Pierson Spoiler at 85 Pd's with a overdraw at 320 fps I also use a free flight release. These broad heads have four blades with a diamond chisel head, this arrow will penetrate a elk at 50 yards both sides lomein no problem.Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old December 13, 2002, 12:41 AM   #8
Kingcreek

I shoot a Mathews Legacy and gold tip 5575 shafts. I favor the muzzy 100gr 3-blade broadheads.
Old December 13, 2002, 12:44 AM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Check the Colorado regs first, H&H.

Recall that the broadhead must have cutting surfaces all in one plane & must be fixed blades.

Can't find my brochure at the moment & The Web is being very picky about letting my do much anything right now or I'd post the link.

CO DOW big game brochure is here - good luck. I can't get at it now. wah!
Old December 13, 2002, 09:20 AM   #10
MFH

I use 4 blade muzzy's on beeman shafts. Very accurate and penetrate well, even on angled shots on whitetail. I tried mechanicals once and will not do so again. While I have no doubt as to effectiveness on a square broadside shot, on a strongly quartering shot from behind, the blade tried to open on the last rib, changing the trajectory of the shaft. The result was the arrow sliding under the skin over the ribs. Fortunately, this shot was on a deer which was already down with a spine shot. (this one barely penetrated enough to get to the spine.) On a healthy deer, I have no doubt that it would have been lost. I agree that they should be great for some circumstances, but I would rather be prepared for slightly less than "perfect"

FWIW

MFH
Old December 13, 2002, 11:45 AM   #11
Cadwallader

Another two-sticks-and-a-string shooter here. I've used Zwickey Black Diamond Deltas from day one. I've messed around with different fletch, different shaft material/spine/weight, and many bows - the only thing I've never changed is my broadheads. If the old stuff works this well why replace it?
Old December 14, 2002, 02:01 AM   #12
TERRY8mm

Stick & string too.

NAP was selling the fixed 2 blade I use, can't remember the original name now. They were a slimmer version of the old Butterfield Brutes, of which I am down to 6.

When I was in my 20s and drawing 85lbs+, I could shot those heads at any angle needed out to 30 yds.

In '85 I put one in the center of the white spot at 25 paces while slipping thru a corn field and over half the arrow was sticking out the Texas bulls eye.

If you can true and tune them to your setup, the Snuffer is awesome.
Old December 14, 2002, 10:10 AM   #13
HSMITH

I have never had a problem with mechanical broadheads and angled shots, and I have had some pretty extreme angles. One thing to keep in mind, you had better have some energy to spare if you shoot mechanicals at angles. It takes a lot of energy to keep them on line and penetrating on an angled entrance, but for modern hot-rod bows and medium to heavy arrows this is not a problem. If you shoot low poundage, light arrows or both you should look at a different broadhead.