The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2002, 01:01 PM   #1
P-990

First Deer Hunt of Season

Deer season started Wednesday, November 13 here in New Hampshire. Saturday, November 16, was the first day I had to go hunting. Talk about miserable! We had snow, rain, wind, and cold. My rifle grew icicles by the time I got out of the woods. Not to mention the ice patches on my shoulders and legs. And to top it all off, no sightings of the elusive North Country buck that supposedly exsists in that area!

And as I sat next to the fire, thawing my frozen fingers, it dawned on me how much fun I had been having! What else could I possibly think? The weather was awful, Bambi was a no-show, but there were so many other critters out I didn't really miss the deer. Why do all of the non-hunters think we only like to kill things? That's not the whole point of the activity.
Old November 17, 2002, 07:25 PM   #2
Peetmoss

Glad you had a good time your first time out this year. Sorry you didn't see any deer. Tommorow is opening day in the Southern Tier of NY and I will only get to go out for about 1.5 hrs. I have to work and have to cover other people so I have to work late to boot. But I will enjoy the little time I have out in the woods. Weather I see a deer or not. It's the possibility that I will that is exciting not to mention just sitting there watching nature go by. When darkness falls I will walk to my old mans house and have a beer and some dinner. Thats what it's all about for me enjoying nature and family, If I get a deer great if not well thats ok too.
Old November 19, 2002, 03:58 PM   #3
Rmouleart

Peetmoss i was there I know what you mean,talk about lousy weather, but it all came together for me around 10:00, I was at my stand before daybreak and it was raining/sleet, got a little wet after 4 hours out there so i headed back to the Rv to shed some clothes and dryout i put away my 300 savage due to the rain and brought my scoped Superredhawk 44 mag and my bandoleer holster under my rain jacket and still stalked back to my stand, as I was taking a right to where my stand is, two deer began running in my direction across me moving very fast, so I turned where i thought they would run bye and set my scope in a clearing, as soon as I saw his shoulder enter the scope I squeezed and he dropped, I could not believe I got him with my handgun and the I also reloaded these rounds using Hornady XTP's using ww296 at 24 gr great round. he was a button buck and weight was 120 pds good size for a young deer,but he looked bigger running but I guess its meat on the table, now I am back to bow, this takes the pressure off, now I can look for the big buck. Good luck all. Aim small hit small. RAMbo