The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2002, 11:08 AM   #1
swatman

Regular or Maxi?

Sorry to sound like a tampon commercial..lol
Anyway. I am not sure if I wanna use the maxi balls when i go out for my first time with a ML this year or just stick with regular round balls. I am gonna be shooting a .45 Thompson..What are the pros and cons for each?
Thanks.

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old August 5, 2002, 11:20 AM   #2
BigG

The Maxi kicks harder and costs more. If you're plinking, the round ball is fine. The maxi is nice for hunting as it has more mass than the RB.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 5, 2002, 01:14 PM   #3
TaxPhd

Agree with BigG, although if you cast your own, conicals are pretty cheap.

A .45 round ball is pretty light. For deer, I would a conical out of that gun. Take a look a T/C's Maxi Hunter or Maxi Ball.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old August 5, 2002, 01:53 PM   #4
swatman

Do you use a little more powder in your load when using the maxi ball?

Old August 5, 2002, 02:02 PM   #5
scotjute

swatman,
I've got a .50 cal TC rifle. I shoot nothing but conicals, think I'm using TC Maxi-hunter. Mainly I'm lazy and don't want to patch the ball when reloading. Probably does cost more, but as I'm only shooting about 20 times a year doesn't matter.
As I remember from my Lyman load book, the maximum black powder you can use is less with a conical vs. a round ball. Will look tonite and report back if no one else has prior to then.
Old August 6, 2002, 05:24 PM   #6
swatman

Ok thanks. A buddy of mine gave me some #3 powder. up till now I have been using #2.
Will I have to use even less than #2 due to it's higher burn rate?

Old August 7, 2002, 08:01 AM   #7
scotjute

Yes, I believe the changeover rate when switching to FFF from FF is to reduce the powder charge to 70% of the amount of FF you were using.
I use FFF because I already had it for pistols. Worked out the powder charge from the Lyman Blackpowder book. They recommended FFF for rifles thru .50 cal.
The maximum powder charge in the Lyman book is typically less for conicals than for the balls.
I've been using Maxi-hunters. Believe the maxi-ball is supposed to be a more accurate target load. I will probably try some later on this year.
I'll take a look tonite and see what powder ranges Lyman recommends with .45 conical.
Old August 7, 2002, 07:44 PM   #8
swatman

Ok, thanks, I will be looking foreward to it