The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2002, 07:22 PM   #1
bb gun

1100 LT20 shortcycles

Brand new gun. Low brass Remington shells.Seven or eight short cycles out of a dozen shots.Rings in properly.Whats the problem? Must be why I like doubles so much!!!.Comments please.
Old July 2, 2002, 08:17 PM   #2
frontlander

Brand New Gun

...is your problem. Find a little stiffer load. Walmart sells a Federal 7/8 oz. at 1400 fps. for less than $3/box. Run a couple hundred rounds through the gun and I betcha it will cycle most anything you put through it flawlessly. New guns need a little break-in period before they start functioning properly (this used to be the responsibility of the manufacturer but now the onus is on the consumer).
Old July 2, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If it lasts past the first case of ammo, then worry about it. I'll wager the usual flagon of mead it clears up by then...
Old July 3, 2002, 09:07 AM   #4
Christopher II

The LT20 doesn't like light loads, at least out of the box. When my Dad and I worked mine over for skeet shooting, we took a turn off the recoil spring and opened out the gas port a bit. Works great now with skeet loads, at the expense of beating itself up with heavy loads or slugs.

I'd give it a hundred shots or so to break it in, with a heavier load. See if that clears it up. If not, then it may need to go to a competant smith for tuning.

BTW, good choice. The 1100 LT20 is my favorite shotgun.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old July 4, 2002, 02:59 AM   #5
dfm

Just put a 1100 Youth 20 through it's paces today. Would not function with standard 7/8 oz. load in a non-compression type (read cheaper) case at all. Not enough pressure generated would be my guess. Did run 100%, though, with a mix of factory new AA and STS skeet rounds. Try a few different types of ammo from bargain basement to target grade stuff. Chances are you'll find something out there cheap and high pressure enough to make you and the gun happy without resorting to modifications.

dfm
Old July 4, 2002, 10:54 AM   #6
HSMITH

Run a case of 1 oz field loads through it, and run it DRY! Spray it out with gunscrubber and head to the range. After you shoot the case up clean it up and very lightly lube the bolt and the action bars channels in the reciever. It should run just about anything you come across after a little breaking in. If after a case of fairly stout loads it is still not cycling light 7/8 oz cheapies let us know and we can go from there.

EDIT: most all of the Remington auto cycling problems I have ever seen after break in are dirty guns or over oiled guns. The remingtons like oil in very sparing amounts to completely dry.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:48 AM   #7
Clemson

LT 20's need a break-in period. Generally AA's or STS's will cycle them quite well. Clean the magazine tube with Breakfree CLP and then wipe down the tube with CLP and leave a light coat on there to evaporate. This is not "Oiling" the tube -- you don't want to do that. CLP will evaporate and leave a little dry lubricant on it. You DO want to do that.

Remington 1100's and CLP were made for each other.

By the way, I don't recommend shortening the springs on Remington Shotguns. You run the risk of battering the gun with low power springs. About the only change that an LT 20 is likely to ever need is the magazine follower, oddly enough. Brownells sells replacements made of Stainless Steel, and I plan to get a couple next time I order. The originals are plastic, and they get worn after several years and thousands of rounds.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com