The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2002, 09:27 PM   #1
ACP230

Which Of These Three

You get invited to hunt where grouse, pheasants, ducks and quail are all possible game. You can only bring one gun. Of these three, which do you take?

A 20 gauge Italian over and under, not fancy, but light and well- balanced. A good grouse gun.

A Savage 311 side by side 16 gauge. Tough as a boot, fairly heavy. Two choices of choke. You've made some good shots with this one.

A Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge made in 1938. A good duck gun, nine pounds, full choke. Great turkey gun, but turkeys aren't on the menu.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:16 PM   #2
Remmy

I'd say the Savage would be the way to go, since your going after pheasant too...just so long as its not 9lbs too.
Old June 21, 2002, 05:08 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

None of those are ideal. The 311 may be the best compromise, use Hevishot for the ducks and lead for the rest.
Old June 21, 2002, 11:16 PM   #4
huntsman

well, the grouse, pheasant , and quail can be hunted with one type gun .The only question is what type of duck hunting ? if it's jump shooting then use the same as above, if it's pass shooting then the md 12 could be used. For me I would take the o/u 20 gauge hunt as a rough shooter and not take any shots longer than 40 yards.
Old June 22, 2002, 08:58 AM   #5
PJR

Take the 20. Of the four alternatives, the 20 is well suited for grouse, pheasant and quail and properly loaded no slouch at ducks. I might or might not get the shot that requires the heavier gauge but I know for certain that I'll be walking for the little birds. I'd rather pass on longer waterfowl shots than carry a heavy gun chasing upland game.

Besides, duck hunting usually means getting up very early in the morning, possibly getting wet and sitting in a blind. Upland game hunting starts later in the day. I might just decide to sleep in and get an early start at the grouse.
Old June 22, 2002, 11:24 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Like Dave, would likely go with the 311 and take loads appropriate to the assorted game.

So many variables left unaddressed tho.

A biggie would be which gun likes you the best. A little gun that you can shoot extremely well will bring home the most fun and game.

And vice versa.

Sam......Tis the hunter that gets the game, not the gun.
Old June 26, 2002, 09:56 PM   #7
Fish Springs

I'd take the 20 guage and use Hevi shot for ducks, keeping your prefered upland loads for the rest. The 20 ga Hevi shot is really something.