The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2002, 04:00 PM   #1
Mike Davies

Info on Rossi "Coachgun" SxS shotgun..?

I have an opportunity to buy (cheap) a minty, used Rossi SxS "Coachgun" 12g shotgun with external hammers, with a view to someday using it in Cowboy Action Shooting when I can no longer keep up with the young 'uns in IPSC...
Are Rossi's good quality shotguns?
Mike
Old May 23, 2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Input I've gotten say they're OK, except for the ones that do not center patterns. Most seem to. I'd pick up that old time Lupara and pattern it fast, returning it if the bbls shoot to different points.
Old May 23, 2002, 11:47 PM   #3
Mike Davies

Dave McC:
Thanks for the info...I've never owned a SxS shotgun in my life...never occurred to me that it might be a good idea if both barrels patterned to the same point...
Much appreciated...
Mike
Old May 24, 2002, 05:29 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome, Mike. SXS shotguns can be a morass in which you and your money sink into. That one may be up for sale BECAUSE it has a prob with regulation.

ATST, it may be a joy to use and perfect for CAS as well as a fairtomiddlin' crisis management tool. Neat toy also(G)....
Old May 24, 2002, 10:08 AM   #5
Mike Davies

Thanks...The Rossi is in very nice condition and priced at $250 Canadian (US$155). A LOT of folks are simply getting rid of their guns rather than submit to licensing and registration here....I would suspect that the consignor is one of these...
I'll make an offer on the Rossi. I do like those external hammers.

Mike
Old May 24, 2002, 10:42 AM   #6
Aion

Might try asking on the SASS Wire: http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

- Aion
Old May 24, 2002, 11:31 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

Mike.....if possible, test fire it before buying. Check point of impact in relation to point of aim.

Correcting a regulation problem on a double can be a labor and money intensive chore.

Sam
Old May 25, 2002, 01:45 AM   #8
Hal

$250?!?!?!?

Jump all over it if it's anywhere near mint. The going price for Rossi's here in Ohio is between $350 and $500 for mint condition. I paid $300 plus a 10% sur-charge for using a credit card for the one I bought, and considered that a decent deal. The Cowboy shooters have 'bout all but scarfed up the lot of 'em. I have a Stoeger coach gun also, minus the hammers, and the Rossi is a much sweeter shooter, as well as a sweeter looker because of the hammers. Heck, if nothing else, the one your looking at,,IMO,,for that money,,would make a great wall hanger even if it doesn't shoot that great.
Old May 25, 2002, 09:22 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

RAE.....unless you have compelling reason otherwise, I'd inform the card company about that ten percent surcharge for using the card. They frown on that.

Sam
Old May 25, 2002, 10:50 AM   #10
KSFreeman

Take Sam's advice on an inspection period and test fire. Rossi is/was spotty on quality. Bought a 12 ga. "lupara" on a lark downtown Indy in undergrad. It did not last but a couple thousand rounds. Check the headspace!!!

However, I have a 20 ga. that refuses to die even after being abused with buckshot and slugs. Go figure.
Old May 27, 2002, 09:36 AM   #11
Hal

Sam,
Correct! They do frown on it. The store where purchsed though has gone out of business. At the time I bought the Rossi, I'd already spent the better part of a decade looking for one in unfired condition under $500.00. When I spotted this one, I was wiling to go as high as $350.00 for it since it has a small blemish on one barrel and no box. At $330., I was still a bit underbudget and could take it home right then.
Store/range where I bought it = close to home and family membership plan, really good people to deal with, they gave me first refusal on the Rossi since Stoney (the sales guy) knew I wanted one.
10% to me wasn't worth causing hard feelings. I know it's the principal of the thing and all that, but $$ isn't everything.