The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 1999, 10:14 PM   #1
gunrunner

Thanks for the info on the recoil, but now I had a discussion about the recoil, is this a gas recoil gun or not, and if not what about moving the friction ring caused less felt recoil, i dont see the engineering changes.
Mike
Old December 7, 1999, 12:54 AM   #2
Kingcreek

I ain't no engineer (neither was John Browning), but as I see it- the friction rings 'apply the brakes' and slow spring compression rate to prevent hard bottoming out or bolt slamming.
I don't really know - I just read the directions and shoot. not necessarily in that order.
Old December 9, 1999, 12:48 PM   #3
SlackO

As far as I know it is not gas operated like the Remington 1100 series I had. On the Browning there are now O rings to capture the escaping gasses (steel O rings would have to be milled to incredible tolerances to work).

As far as I know it is simply recoil operated with the additional barrel spring cushion to reduce felt recoil.

------------------
Anarchism: The radical notion that I am the sole authority when it comes to deciding what's best for me.
Old December 9, 1999, 04:39 PM   #4
BigG

If it's the ol' square backed Browning Automatic 5, it is recoil operated using the long recoil system. The barrel recoils all the way back more than the length of the fired cartridge case. The bolt locks back and the bbl springs forward, ejecting the fired case, then the bolt is released and loads the next cartridge ready for the next trigger pull. It all happens in the blink of an eye.

The bronze friction ring mates with the ring on the barrel and gets squeezed down by the bevel on the front thus applying friction to the magazine tube and softening the recoil.

What is this remark about JMB not being an engineer? If that's the case, then Tom Edison didn't know about electricity, either. If you mean lack of formal schooling, some of the greatest engineers in history were self taught, IMHO.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 10, 1999, 12:17 AM   #5
Kingcreek

BigG, You did a better job of answering the question than I did, and of course I meant formal schooling
I have great admiration for J Browning, but in todays world, he could not call himself an engineer.
I went to school to be an engineer, but I quit when I found out I wasn't going to drive the train.
Old December 10, 1999, 09:42 AM   #6
BigG

Hehehe! King Creek, you're all right!
Some of the trouble with people today is that they value formal education too highly, IMHO. My father and his brothers had little formal schooling, similar to most of their generation, but they helped engineer some of the greatest tooling in the Detroit auto industry. Where are these self taught geniuses today? I guess Bill Gates might be one.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 11, 1999, 06:39 PM   #7
Kingcreek

This thread prompted me to 'out' my sweet 16 today (first time this year- maybe two years?).
Thanks to y'all (and the dog), I managed to bust one pheasant with the old Browning.
I love these old guns, but the season isn't long enough for me to dirty all of 'em.
Pheasant and wild rice tonight.
(and a glass of pinot noir)
Old December 30, 1999, 10:08 AM   #8
BigG

IIRC, the directions for setting the friction rings was pasted inside the forearm of my Light Twelve Browning Auto 5. Maybe it's in your Sweet Sixteen, too.

Caution: When you remove the forearm, hold it by its forward end as it is hollow and can be cracked if held towards the rear. HTH

------------------
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

[This message has been edited by BigG (edited December 30, 1999).]