The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2002, 05:36 PM   #1
stinger

rattling in the mossy 500

i own one and there is a rattle, but it doesn't bother me at all. i mostly use it for busting clays and it does great.

however, when i do hunt, it is mostly pheasant or other birds. they know you are there before they can hear the rattling of the shotgun, so it is no problem for me. they fly when you get to close, in most cases, not necessarily because you are making too much noise. walking through the fields makes more noise than the rattling of the shotgun.

but some think the rattling is bothersome. so my question is, what can be done about it. is there anything that will tighten it up a bit. i am not really asking for myself, just for others who might consider doing it.

thanks
Old February 7, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Adamantium

For hunting, I've heard f some people putting packaging peanuts between the forearm bars and the barrel. Then when you rack the lide they are supposed to just pop out, and after you are done shooting you pick them up and put them back in.

I've never seen (or heard) a mossy that rattled even close to loud, mine you actually have to shake hard up and down to get it to rattle at all. Same with my friends who has had approx. 12-13K rounds through it and 6 season of dear and upland hunting.

Sincerely,
Adam
Old February 8, 2002, 12:46 AM   #3
Captain Bligh

This is a planned collaboration between Mossberg and the animal rights folks. A ton of engineers worked long hours to create that distinctive rattle to warn game to get outta Dodge before they get harmed.

My 870 is very quiet.

Randy
Old February 8, 2002, 12:58 AM   #4
Badger Arms

My Ithaca is very quiet also. The Mossberg is built like a cheap tool. It works, but it's rickety. Compare it to a Daewoo vs. a Honda Accord. Sure, they have most of the same features, BUT.....
Old February 8, 2002, 06:52 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A rattling weapon would be more of a drawback to a stillhunter or deer hunter than to a walkup bird hunter or waterfowler.

I'm leary of the peanut idea. Too much chance of stuff ending up where it is neither needed nor innocous.

Since some Mossies rattle and some do not by report, there must be a fix. I dunno what it is, and unless something makes me switch brands, I don't need to.
Old February 10, 2002, 10:34 PM   #6
Uncle Red

I noticed with my 500 that most of the play was between the mag tube and the forstock tube. When I took off the for stock from the tube, there were four dimples in the forward part.(muzzle end) I used a blunt brass punch and hammer to deepen the dimples a couple of taps at a time and then check for fit on the mag tube. My next step will be to add similar dimples at the other end of the forstock tube to eliminate play at that end as well. I have not yet thought of a way to eliminate the play in the action bars yet. But if anyone has any ideas I'd be eager to learn. -UR.
Old February 11, 2002, 01:57 AM   #7
swampgator

Don't think the problem is with the action bars themselves. Just the way in which they attach to the pump. The rattling doesn't bother me, so I haven't paid it too much thought.
Old February 13, 2002, 05:16 AM   #8
4thHorseman

My rattling Mossy 500 was due to a wooden plud (to restict to gun to three shells) in the gun. They have two rubber o-rings on the plug rod that is supposed to keep them from ratting. Mine had only one. You can add the addition o-ring or find another way to keep it from rattling, like adding someting rubber to it to keep it tight.
Hope this helps.
Old February 13, 2002, 05:34 AM   #9
Dogjaw

I've been toying with the idea of buying a pump, so I've been looking them over. The slide rattle on the 500's seem to be more noticable in the cheaper grades, but there was also a difference from gun to gun in each grade. I've found several that were pretty tight. Since I deer hunt, any gun that rattles irritates the heck out of me. The Winchester 94AE rattles a lot too. It's just how they're built (inexpensive).