The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
misterE

M1a scope mount

Ok guys, looks like I'm getting a scope mount for my m1a for Christmas. The general consensus I get from searching the forums is that the Sadlak mount is a great mount. Do any of y'all have one in aluminum. I'm wondering why I need to spend the extra money on steel or titanium. Any opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated. Or if any of y'all have another mount you prefer, let's hear about it. Thanks.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
hagar

Consider the Basset as well. Requires no messing with clip slot and holds zero well.
Old December 18, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
GringoLoco

I have an aluminum Sadlak and am happy with it. First I bought the Springfield one, but it wouldn't tighten and I sent it back.
Old December 19, 2011, 06:51 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Sadlak, any version.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:16 PM   #5
misterE

Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the aluminum sadlak. I'm not carrying this rifle into battle so I don't think the steel or titanium are necessary. I absolutely love the irons on this rifle, but I want a scope for hunting. I like a scope on my hunting rifles for quick identification of deer; sex, antler size, etc.

One more question: on the sadlaks, can you really see through to still use your irons?
Old December 20, 2011, 01:31 AM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I have one from Smith Ent. its used on the Crazy Horse.
Never any problems with it.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old December 20, 2011, 08:32 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
One more question: on the sadlaks, can you really see through to still use your irons?
Yes sir. You do not have full elevation and it's sort of like looking through a tunnel.
Old December 20, 2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Therealkoop

I suggest the bassett. Its the easiest to mount/dismount and remount to the same zero. You can still use the irons if you opt for it, I did not however.

IMO its the new "thing" when it comes to M14 scope mounts. The old style has been so problematic over the years.
Old December 20, 2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Michael

Sadlak aluminium.
Drop tested on concrete ( ham handed ) without loss of zero.
IT's been a very steady mount for a few thosand rounds now.
Old December 20, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
misterE

Ok, one more question. Which rings? I've got a leupold vx1 40mm that I will be mounting ( on the aluminum sadlak mount).
Old December 21, 2011, 07:53 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
Consider the Basset as well. Requires no messing with clip slot and holds zero well.
You don't think having a additional attaching point is beneficial?

When I have removed my Sadlak mount for rifle maintenance it re-installs within 1 moa because of the clip guide attaching point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterE
Ok, one more question. Which rings? I've got a leupold vx1 40mm that I will be mounting ( on the aluminum sadlak mount).
I use Burris xtreme tactical rings, medium (1/2") height with a 44mm bell, plenty of clearance. Any lower and I would be right on top the irons.

Old December 22, 2011, 10:17 AM   #12
misterE

Thanks for the pic mad crate. A pictures worth a thousand words. Some day I'll figure out how to post pics.
Got an aluminum sadlak mount with some millet medium rings(.285 I believe) on the way from brown ells. I'll let everyone know how installation and sight in goes very soon hopefully.
Old December 23, 2011, 10:52 PM   #13
misterE

Ok, got scope mounted! That sadlak mount seems to be a brute. Ran into 2 issues, but other than that it was pretty simple. 1 st, I believe I over tightened the front post set screw which was evident by looking through the irons; it looked like the mount was running up hill. Hope I didn't screw anything up there. I backed it out and carefully followed instructions on tightening, and it looks perfect.
The only other issue is that it appears that the mount is 1/16 inch out of alignment to the left. Have any of y'all run into this? Are there some adjustable rings I should get to move the scope over? I've never had to mess with shimming a scope so I'm new to all that.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:05 PM   #14
misterE

I'll be shooting tomorrow so I'll let y'all know how sight in goes. Can't wait!
Old December 24, 2011, 07:13 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

Quote:
it appears that the mount is 1/16 inch out of alignment to the left.
I would back off the front tensioning screw, remove the clip guide screw. Then check the fit of the mount against the side of the receiver. The slot machined in the side of the receiver is for indexing the mount. The mount should be tight against the body of the receiver.

If all looks good it is possible the receiver is machined out of spec. This does happen and Sadlak can fix this. Some times the slot is not deep and/or wide enough. Check the Sadlak website and read the page about the mount inspection fixture. It's a kit to check the receiver to ensure it's in spec. If the receiver is not in spec, then Sadlak can modify the mount so it well fit correctly. The customer service is second to none, you well speak to the owner or his wife, both are very knowledgeable and very nice people.

Don't be discouraged about this, it happens and can be corrected. All the M1A scope mounts index off the outside of the receiver. SAI does not always get this at the exact same spec on every rifle. Normally you can get away with using a few clicks of windage to get to center. As I recall my scope needed six or seven clicks of windage to be colamated to the barrel centerline.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:18 AM   #16
Logs

I am also looking for a mount so this is good info, but what are you guys using for a cheek rest to take up the space of having the optics mounted higher on the gun and your cheek is now off the stock???
Old December 24, 2011, 09:55 AM   #17
misterE

Madcratebuilder- thanks for all the help, and I did remove the set screws and check the fit against the receiver. All looks good to me. It's just when I look through the sight channel, it appears that the mount is slightly sitting to the left. First I thought it might just be that my rear sight was adjusted over, but it is centered on the tick marks. Anyways, I'm not really that worried about it. I'll be sighting in in a few hours and I really doubt it will be an issue.

I'll also be looking into a cheekrest, so any input in that area would be appreciated.

On another note, has anyone ever tapped the front of the receiver to attach a scope mount on a m14/ m1a. This looked like it is the only improvement that could possibly be made to the sadlak style mount. May be completely unnecessary, but I was just curious.
Old December 24, 2011, 11:09 AM   #18
dvdcrr

I would not get the aluminum mount. The aluminum is the reason the Sprinfield mounts come loose.

I've got the Bassett low railed mount and I think its ideal. Go read the "testimonials" at the Bassett site regarding how it was used to test match rifles.

Last edited by dvdcrr; December 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:31 PM   #19
SR420

> SEI M14 Scope Mount, Wire EDM, NSN 5855-01-506-5750, p/n: 2006
Excellent mount, I have one on my CRAZY HORSEĀ® M14 EBR-RINM-SEI

Quote:
edward5759 I have one from Smith Ent. its used on the Crazy Horse.
Never any problems with it.
I'm trying out something new on my MK14 Mod 0 type SEI... it could be an option for you.

Old December 24, 2011, 03:48 PM   #20
misterE

Sight in report

Just got through sighting in out at dads back 40.

Aluminum sadlak, millet medium rings, leupold vx1 3x9, "loaded" stainless m1a

Overall I'm very pleased with this set up. Sighted in with Winchester 762 NATO 147 grain fmj. Had to adjust scope pretty far to the right, but no big deal. Best group with this ammo was just under an inch at 100 yards. Then I switched to Winchester power points and best group I could manage was about 1 3/4. Some groups with the pp were out to 2 1/2. Got concerned about this, but then I would switch back to the fmj NATO and groups would tighten right back up. I guess my rifle just doesn't like 150 grain win power points. Disappointing because I was planning on using those Monday on a deer hunt. Still may if I don't have any more time for experimenting. Does anyone have any input on commercial hunting ammo for an m1a? I'll be getting into reloading hopefully this winter.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:24 AM   #21
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I would not get the aluminum mount. The aluminum is the reason the Sprinfield mounts come loose.
Being aluminum has nothing to do with it. The SAI mount comes loose because of the design. Sadlak has sold thousands of the aluminum mounts and you don't see people complaining, even the ones that would complain being hung with a new rope.

Quote:
Then I switched to Winchester power points and best group I could manage was about 1 3/4.
That's plenty good for deer unless you are taking a 3-400 yd shot.

Try different brands and weights up to 175gr. My two M1A's and my AR10 all like a heavier bullet. Any round that fits well be sub 2moa, that's battle rifle accuracy in my book.

There are several choices for a cheek rest.

If you don't mind drilling the butt stock, this is a nice setup.
http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com...CheekRest.html

I have a coyote on my rifle.
http://coyotem1a.com/

More
http://www.m1arifles.com/m1a-rifles/...m1a-cheek-pad/

I have had Pete Ogden make two custom cheek pads for me and I'm very pleased with the work. The price is great for a custom piece. I'm going to order another for my M1A.
http://www.czechmauseritis.com/index.html
Old December 25, 2011, 08:40 AM   #22
Eghad

I would go with Sadlak because they are a Brookfield type mount. I would go with steel over aluminum. Steel will last longer than aluminum.

Smith enterprises is also a good mount just like the Sadlak better.

Remember that the specs on you receiver may be different than the original GI specs. The $5.00 inspection kit form Sadlak sounds like a no brainer.

invest in a cheek pad for your M1A

I used to own an M1A and just recently sold it because of the bursitis in my shoulders.

As far as ammo an M1A can be picky. Just have to shoot some up and see what it likes.

Some good info on M1A/M14 mounts.

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/M14_Sco...FAQ_070225.pdf

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; December 25, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:21 PM   #23
misterE

Got out to shoot some more this evening after all the festivities. Took some Remington core loct 150 grain and they shot tightest yet. Best group at 100 yards was 3/4 inch. The accuracy of this rifle never ceases to impress me for a battle rifle. Hope to use it on some does tomorrow morning if the rain will hold off a little.

Madcratebuilder - I would have been perfectly happy with 2 moa out of this rifle if I hadn't already seen better groups with me shooting irons. (shot a 1 1/2 inch group with win 762 NATO fmj). I just knew this rifle could do better. Shot a couple more groups of the power points today and again 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 inch groups. This rifle just doesn't like that stuff. Oh and thanks for the links on cheek pads.
Also, I havnt shopped around for it, but what is out there in the way of hunting ammo in the 165 - 170 grain range. I've been sticking with 150s because that's what I thought most people with more experience than me were suggestion out of the m1a.
Definitely plan on working up a good hunting load myself later this winter.

Merry Christmas!
Old December 26, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
misterE

Success!

Shot a doe and a pretty nice 8pt this morning with the m1a. First time hunting with it. Bothe were one shot kills in heart. Both deer were walking when shot. I love this rifle. Might switch over to it permanently for deer. Cool thing was that I hunted out of a climbing stand this morning and the twenty round mag actually worked just right for a rest of sorts off of the front rail of my stand. I used rem 150 grain core locks. Do went about twenty yards and the buck went about 40 yards. I'm doing my best to get my wife to help me post some pics from the computer. Or if any of y'all know how to post them from an iPad, let me know.

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your input; it has been extremely helpful.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:45 PM   #25
misterE

PICS !!!

8pt taken by M1a this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01817 (Medium).JPG (76.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01819 (Medium).JPG (44.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01821 (Medium).JPG (44.0 KB, 74 views)