The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2001, 03:09 PM   #1
Echo23TC

I'm looking for one, since the one I have is bulged about 2-3 inches in front of the chamber. The 'smith says he wouldn't shoot it, so I'm not pulling the trigger on it either! If you have one you wouldn't mind getting rid of, or know a place that has one, please let me know. It doesn't have to be in very good shape, just straight! I'll be cutting it to 20 inches, so length doesn't matter too much. Also, vent ribs and screw in chokes are obviously not necessary. Come on, Guys - help me out here!
Old February 5, 2001, 05:41 PM   #2
ToddW

I have a 28" plain barrel(no vent rib) with a fixed Mod. choke that I'm getting rid of. I bought it new years ago when Remington was clearing out their fixed choke barrel inventory and going to screw-in chokes. For whatever reason I never used it so it is still unfired and has been sitting in my safe with a coating of Rig grease for the last dozen years or so. I believe it has a 3" chamber, though I would have to check. I finally went out and bought a remchoke barrel so I don't see this spare barrel getting use any time soon.

I believe I paid ~$59 for it back in the mid to late 80's, so any reasonable offer and it's yours.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Todd Wellman
Old February 5, 2001, 08:36 PM   #3
Echo23TC

I should have stated that I have a 2 3/4 barrel - will a 3 inch fit on my receiver? Sorry for the confusion.

Todd, I sent you an e-mail - thanks!
Old February 6, 2001, 12:15 AM   #4
ToddW

You can put a 3" chambered barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver, but you're still limited to 2 3/4" shells. I'm in the same situation, my shotgun is 30+ yrs old and a 2 3/4 receiver but I can put 3" chambered barrels on with no problem. I'll check my email tomorrow morning when I get to work.
Thanks,
Todd