The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2005, 07:46 AM   #1
Patriot49
Registration in progress

Good choice in recoil pad for the Moss 500

I was absolutely amazed that my lady friend, who up until now has been deathly afraid to literally even look at a firearm has now decided she wants to the range and shoot my Mossberg 500. She is extremely skittish about recoil. Let's put it this way -- if she does not like the feel of a .22....... Well, I want to do what I can to help her with this. So now I want to find the best possible recoild absorbing after market pad and am also looking at some really light, "tactical" loads.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old November 12, 2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's good pads to put on your 500, including the Limbsaver, the Kickeez, and the standard Pachmyer and their Decellerator too. However....

Put a pad on her also. The PAST pad is a good one, and there are others around.

Also, forget "Tactical" loads. Get some Winchester Ultralites with 7/8 oz of shot or the Fiocchi equivalent. Use those until she's comfortable with heavier stuff.

Rookies get kicked hard because of bad form. Have her start off with good form, leaning well into the shot and being behind the shotgun, not beside it as is so often seen.

HTH....
Old November 12, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Patriot49
Registration in progress

Pachmyer - slip on type pads?

Do you know if any of these can simply be slipped on over the butt of my Defender model (Synthetic stock)?

Thanks for the input.