The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2005, 03:59 PM   #1
CraZkid

Shotgun for lil bro.

He turns 11 in a month and I am looking for an all purpose hunting 20 gauge. The ability to swich from a youth stock to a regular easily would be great. It must be a pump because I do not want him to outgrow a single-shot in a year or two. I have looked at 870s but other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old November 5, 2005, 07:44 PM   #2
salber01

If money is not a big issue a Barreta 390/391 in 20 ga. is a very soft shooting gun especially for a young/small person.

Remington 870 is offered in a youth model you can upgrade as he grows and Mossberg makes a youth version of the 500(probably the best deal for a tight budget).
I would check gun shops and pawn shops, be careful and you can get some great deals on lightly used youths that have been outgrown.
Old November 8, 2005, 03:46 PM   #3
timothy75

Sounds like your a fine brother to have. How about a mossberg combo with 2 barrels? You could introduce him to defensive shooting as well as the sporting side.
Old November 8, 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
roy reali

My First Shotgun

The first shotgun my dad got me was a side-by-side. He liked the safety aspect of such an action. It is an easy gun to render safe, just open it up. It is also easy to see if it is loaded or not.
Old November 13, 2005, 09:13 AM   #5
sophijo

First shot gun

This is what my dad for me and what I've done...pretty niffty. You can find a used single sometimes classic, in good shape say a 20 or 410. The kid can learn to dissassemble it ....help him refinish the stock...linseed oil and reblue it. I learned to attend to technique and care when shooting (single shot benefit)...then spent hours thinking about my next shotgun...style etc; watching and asking. S(he); I have a granddaughter! will out grow it quick but will keep that shotgun forever! You can spend some cash on the next one.
Old November 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6
guntotin_fool

buy the 870 express junior or youth, two different models. WAY better made than a mossy. people argue that case but it is just simple fact.(climbing into my flame proofsuit) Steel forged receiver, better inside, and no spot welds on the action bars to the forearm ring. (the old gun shop i used to work at, was doing a pretty good business putting Mossies back in shooting order,)

most pump and auto shotguns today use the same manual of arms as the 870, safety location, slide release etc. If he learns on that he will be happy on most anything he moves onto.
Old November 13, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7
roy reali

Not Just Safety

There is another reason to getting a break open type shotgun to start a kid off. With these shotguns you are limited to one or two shots. I don't know how many times I've seen someone fire off their third shot at a bird that was out of range. They stopped at three only because of legal requirements, otherwise they would have continued to shoot.
Old November 13, 2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Dante690

I have to agree with Roy, a side by side is a good choice. They're nice looking, too.
Old November 13, 2005, 04:43 PM   #9
WillBrayjr

I recommend the Remington 870 Express Youth and buy a rifled barrel to go with it. It's a soft shooter, even with premium shells like Winchester's Partition Gold slugs.