The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2005, 12:34 AM   #1
blackxd40

Mossberg 500

I have a mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. I want to shot Game & Field Loads NOT slugs. I have some people say it will just mess up the inside of the barrel so I will not beable to ever shot slugs and some say I will mess up the barrel and gun for eveything and anything. I dont care to every shot slugs I just want to shot targets and clay. So has anyone shot game and field loads in a slug barrel. Thanks
Old November 12, 2005, 01:51 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

You have the wrong barrel for any kind of shot loads.
Don't do it. Any shot patterns that come out will spread very rapidly & you'll get huge & ineffective patterns only good for very close range. Absolutely no good whatever for trap & clays. You may also get some plastic shot cup residue in the rifling that could be hard to get out.
Either trade barrels or trade guns for a smoothbore if you want to shoot shot.
Denis
Old November 12, 2005, 02:27 AM   #3
John 242

Denis;
Same with buckshot?
Old November 12, 2005, 03:23 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

You don't want to shoot ANY kind of shot load through a rifled barrel.
The rifling is there to promote spin with a solid projectile. It'll do that with a shot charge, too. Think what happens if the shot column comes out spinning. Centrifugal force will spin the outer pellets outward, the pattern opens up quick, and you get a wide dispersal that'll have big enough holes in it at any distance beyond a few yards to miss a truck (I exaggerate only slightly).
You can shoot a slug through a smoothbore with reasonable success, you cannot shoot a shot charge through a rifled bore with much success at all if you're trying to hunt or do trap, skeet, or clays.
Ever shoot any of the Speer handgun shotshells? They all go through rifled bores, and they all have very limited range as a result.
Denis
Old November 12, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5
yorec

Buckshot is still shot. It'll go through, but like DPris said - accuracy will be poor...
Old November 12, 2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Clayfish

Get another bbl. They are inexpensive ( around $100 new and less used. Check E-bay) and it only takes about 30 seconds to change it out. Just unscrew the barrel bolt and slip the bbl out, put the new bbl in and tighten it down. That's it. You can leave the deer woods and go to the truck, switch bbls and bird hunt.