View Single Post
Old April 1, 2002, 04:42 PM   #3
Norm Lee

for steel

Hey Tator:

I typed a long, informative, amusing, and detailed reply to your inquiry but it has apparently wound up in the bit bucket. I don't type all that well and at my age, short term memory is a problem, too so this won't likely be nearly as funny nor as useful.
But, anyway.
What sort of steel shooting do you contemplate?

If it's of the IDPA/IPSC sort, the steel will be set to fall for the lowest power loads allowed (PF=125). For some events PF is not relevant.

I recommend getting as close as possible to the minimum level as will produce a knock down reliably. Time spent hauling your gun back down out of the sky does not contribute favorably to your score.

I like to go about 135-145 which works well, and is pretty controllable, and usually will help to keep me from succumbing to the urge to wait to see What happens after I break a shot. That, too, is an activity that burns daylight to little avail.

I believe you should go with a lead bullet in WC or SWC shape. The flat points and edges will make a difference if your aim strays and you hit steel near an edge. Probability of favorable energy transfer is higher. Of course, if, like me, you keep your hits in the middle, it matters not.

Partial jackets and JHP are not allowed at some matches for their propensity to shed the jacket material which results in flying flak with too much velocity and way too many sharp and jagged edges on the range. FMJ is probably OK.

Lead bullets from Precision and some others do not have smoke producing waxy lubes. Smoke can be an issue for the faster shooters.

Cheers,

Norm

Page generated in 0.03978 seconds with 8 queries