View Single Post
Old August 3, 2000, 08:09 AM   #1
K80Geoff

I think it is time for some controversy in this forum. So here goes.

I shoot Sporting Clays, and I took up the game because it is more challenging and interesting than either Trap or Skeet. Both of which are too regimented and , at competitive levels, no fun at all.

One of the attractions of Sporting Clays is that each set or "Stand" throws completely different targets.Each course is unique and provides a new challenge.

When I started shooting the requirements were that the butt of the gun be off of the shoulder and could not be mounted untill the target appeared. This threw another element of skill into the game, as proper mounting technique is sometimes difficult to do time after time.

A couple of years ago the NSCA and the SCA both changed their rules to allow pre mounted guns. Their alleged reason was that it was too difficult to enforce the previous rule.

I believe that this new rule will turn the game into another Trap and Skeet. Pre mounting takes away the spontaniety of the target presentation and does away with the requirement to practice gun mounting. Also, I have noticed that some courses are setting up targets that have to be taken with a mounted gun, forcing diehards like me to miss or premount.

The most difficult of the clay target games, FITASC sporting, as it is shot in europe, still requires the gun to be off of the shoulder and not mounted untill the target is visible.

In effect, the pre mount rule has made the game easier and bumped scores upward. I have seen many shooters who thought they were great fall flat on their faces shooting a FITASC course.

I never shoot tournaments anymore, because I still cling to the rule that the gun not be mounted untill the target is visible. My scores have suffered in comparison to friends who pre mount on every presentation.

I find it interesting that Olympic Skeet still requires a low gun start. Even though the targets thrown are faster than targets in Americal Skeet.

Comments?

Geoff Ross

Page generated in 0.03389 seconds with 8 queries