View Single Post
Old August 11, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1
jrfoxx

Webley revolver ID help please

I'm looking at buying a neat, owner believes possibly German or Austrian
webley patent revolver, but I'm no Webley expert by any means, and the current owner doesn't know a whole lot either, so I'm hoping someone here can fill in some info. I'm told it has a 1 3/4" barrel, folding trigger, Proof marks visible are a Crown over "PN", crown over a shield, and it's dated 1941. I'm told a .32 S&W wont fit, nor will .32acp,he says both are too big, and believes its .320 cal (?). I like oddities, and the Webley guns are that special kind of ugly like Nagant revolvers, and I've been wanting one for a while, and the price seems right, and I finally have the $$ available, so...

Anyone able to ID this gun and it's correct ammo/caliber?

Thanks, as I'm not finding a lot with google.

ETA:from digging around, it appears to be of the "Bulldog" type/style/model, and my copy of Cartridges of the World does show a round called ".320 Revolver" (bullet dia. of .317, which explains the .32's being "too big", but it looking like .32 cal), which it says was designed originally for the Webley's, and was the inspiration for the 32 Short Colt.Not finding anything on the crown over P.N. though (the crown is common to several countries, but nothing found on P.N. specifically)

Also, assuming I cant find ammo, or it's way too expensive, anybody know what I can use to make some? heres the stats on .320 Revolver:

bullet dia: .317 neck dia: .320 no shoulder base dia: .322 rim dia: .350 case length: .62 ctg length: .90 bullet is apparently 80gr.

I'm having trouble finding something that can just be cut down to work, but this isnt my forte, and there may be other possible tricks I dont really know much about like fire-forming, blowing a smallr ctg. out, etc.

Doing a search here does kind of confirm the "Bulldog" style and cartridge to be correct, but thats all I'm real certain on. Any help on where to get ammo, coutry of origin/proof marks, and if ammo can be made from something else, what, and how would be much appreciated.

Here's the pics I have available:

Page generated in 0.02974 seconds with 8 queries