PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Homeland Defense.....

nedfig
October 26, 2001, 03:35 PM
Looks like Ithaca has come out with a nice little shotgun. I wonder if it's 100% remake from original. I think I have room in the safe:D

Read the article:
http://www.ithacagun.com/news/pressroom/htm/hls.html

huntsman
October 26, 2001, 08:34 PM
that's cool but they should offer a bit of choke like imp/cyl like remington does on the slug guns.

Will Beararms
October 26, 2001, 08:43 PM
Nedfig:

Ithacas are great but I can get a good semi-auto for what they ask for their higher range pumps.

Al Thompson
October 27, 2001, 05:29 AM
One thing that's often overlooked is the M37's utility for left handed shooters.

I have one and enjoy it very much.

Giz

Dave McC
October 27, 2001, 07:31 AM
It looks like a superb "Serious" shotgun. The design is a classic, Ithaca has a great rep for quality, and there's gonna be lots of these sold in the near future.

A coupla caveats, tho...

One, the design does not lend itself to extended mags. This is a minor point.

Two, a bottom loading pump like this is a tad slower to reload under A/S conditions. This especially applies to one shot "Dry". An 870 that runs dry(I know it's not supposed to happen) can get one round off by just throwing it in the ejection port and racking closed. Can't do that with this.

Three, these are lightweight shotguns. This is both an advantage and not. Easier carrying, but more felt recoil.I've shot a couple of Deerslayers with the big Rottweil Brenneke, recoil was quite noticeable. A bit more weight would be nice for "Serious" roles. Is there a Side Saddle ammo holder that fits the 37? That'd fix a couple probs.

Four, it needs sling studs. For H/D, a sling's not needed, and may snag at absolutely the worst moment. Outside the house, that changes.

All in all, it's an excellent choice. I can't wait to see how the other makers respond....

Benjamin
October 27, 2001, 05:57 PM
Oh no! Not another gun!

All kidding aside, it looks quite nice. Does anyone have any firm ideas as to the price?

ATTICUS
October 28, 2001, 07:29 PM
"Three, these are lightweight shotguns." Dave, I agree with the other two points you made, but the steel M87 I used to have was heavy. This gun appears to be nearly identical to it.

Jody Hudson
October 28, 2001, 07:38 PM
Anyone have a price to the dealer ammount yet?

The 37 was my first shotgun as my father is a lefty. One of my clients has always liked the 37 because it lays the empties at his feet, exactly where he wants to pick them up and put them in the sack to take back for reloading.

There is the 37 steel and the 37 featherweight. The featherweight, the one I had was 6.5 pounds with the slug barrel as I recall. And, it was just as tight a pattern with the slug barrel as with the long barrel... interesting.

I finally shot it to excessive wear and Ithaca could no longer ressurect it after many thousand shots and 40+ years of heavy shooting by Dad and I both.

Dave McC
October 29, 2001, 05:22 AM
An 870 and a 37 set up as close to identical as possible would show the 870 running 4-6 oz heavier, IMO. All else equal(Virtually impossible except in theory), the 37 would have about 6% more free recoil. Not a weighty matter, pun intended.

Jhp147
October 30, 2001, 10:14 AM
Like a couple of other posters, am looking for a price and place to purchase this gun. Any luck on anyone else's part?

Dave McC
October 30, 2001, 12:48 PM
JHP and others, I was just quoted a price of $499 for the Homeland Security version of this. Guns R US does not have them in stock, the computer says they're in limited supply.

For comparison, the 870 Express variant with the two shot extension already installed is $299 at the same shop....

nedfig
October 30, 2001, 02:03 PM
Usually the MSRP is about 90% higher than the actual retail cost. BUT, they will be overpriced at first for sure. You might have to wait for them to flood the market before the prices come down. They probably won't sell many at $499 when the 870 on the shelf right next to it is $299. Unless the buyer is a diehard Ithaca fan.

Or you can get a used one from a pawn shop or gun show and whack the barrel off. A lady at work pick up a super clean field model at a garage sale for $125, some people have all the luck.

lunde
October 30, 2001, 02:59 PM
I have always wanted an Ithaca Model 37, and this one may be just the ticket for an early 2002 purchase.

Rob96
October 30, 2001, 05:11 PM
I just spent $275 for the Remington Dave mentioned and I just sent in the $25 Remington rebate. $250 versus $499, thats a no-brainer.

Jhp147
October 30, 2001, 05:28 PM
I don't expect many to fly off the shelf a $499 a pop, or even at the $425 or so for which they will probably eventually be "offered."
Thanks for the info!

revolvergeek
November 2, 2001, 04:23 PM
I just bought a new Ithica yesterday. 24 inch modified shoke barrel, 10 shot *long* mag tube, 3 inch chamber, dark parkerizing, i could not pass it up.

It feels wierd with that long barrel and mag tube, like swinging an over and under.

I can't find it in any of my books. Does anyone know roughly when mine was made?

lunde
November 2, 2001, 04:29 PM
I got sucked in. I ordered one of these with synthetic furniture and ported barrel. I have always wanted an Ithaca Model 37 in this configuration. I called Ithaca about a month ago, and they told me that they had no plans to make these again. Things change...

lunde
December 5, 2001, 12:24 AM
I just picked up my Ithaca Model 37 Homeland Security shotgun today (synthetic furniture with ported barrel). While I have not yet had a chance to shoot it, the workmanship is clearly outstanding, and the action is the smoothest I;ve felt in a pump action.

Dave McC
December 5, 2001, 04:51 AM
Ken, after you shoot it a bit, how about posting a T&E? Thanks...

Kestrel
December 5, 2001, 09:50 AM
I wonder if this model will allow "slam firing" like the original 37. (Holding the trigger and sliding the slide forward causes the hammer to fall.)

Steve

Dave McC
December 5, 2001, 10:25 AM
I doubt it, in these litigious times, that they would offer that slam fire arrangement. And little advantage there is to having a shotgun that will do that.

If a decent shotgunner can get off 5 aimed shots in 5 seconds with a pump, there's not much justification in having what might be a hazard.

lunde
December 5, 2001, 05:03 PM
I found out from Ithaca Gun that the new Model 37s do not slam-fire.

jimmy
December 5, 2001, 11:09 PM
Wow--it sounds like my kinda gun: all steel and walnut and made the old fashioned way. I want one! Now if only there weren't so many other guns in line ahead of it .... :rolleyes: