PDA

View Full Version : What kind of 12G slug for big bears?

taco
October 25, 2001, 12:45 AM
What kind of 12G slug would be most effective against big bears? Somebody really does need an answer for real world use.

taco
October 25, 2001, 01:06 AM
Erick:

Thanks for your reply.
Will these slugs work in smooth bore or does it require rifled barrel? My remington 870 has a 18" cylinder barrel but I'm willing to invest in a rifled barrel if required.

The gun/slug will be used only in case of extreme emergency at close range.

Fred Hansen
October 25, 2001, 01:35 AM
I will second Brenneke. I haven't had the opportunity to use them on bear, but every deer I have ever hit with one dropped within a few feet of where it was hit. 9 out of 10 with only 1 slug.
I would trust my life to them.

Al Thompson
October 25, 2001, 05:37 AM
Taco, your barrel will work fine. You need a rifled barrel for sabot slugs - the Brenneke's are not saboted. Either the original brand or Kent Cartridge's K.O. brand will work.

I would do two things - practice and think about a rear sight.

Giz

Dave McC
October 25, 2001, 06:45 AM
I'd go with the Rottweil Brenneke, the usual sources on the Netvine tell me wildife pros use this as load of choice when tranporting "Problem" bears. Sometimes they mix load with 00.

The 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz slug has tremendous penetration and a big wound channel all the way through deer.If you hold the critter up to the light right, you can darn near see through the hole.

boogerbawb
October 25, 2001, 07:08 AM
Count me in with the Brenneke; I used to live in Iowa where one could only hunt deer with shotgun slugs and they performed much better for me than the budget bargain Remington and Winchester punkin balls in vogue with the guys.

Speaking of close range, my college roommate had a book on Alaska bears I read...wish to heck I could remember the exact title...that had autopsy-type evaluations on a few. I'm sure it said OO buck would not penetrate a big bear's skull at anything over 10 yards.