PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 vs. Moss 500

Andy G
October 21, 2001, 10:00 PM
Hello guys

I just stumbled across your website and I thought this would be the perfect place to ask my question.

Im in the market for a new 12gauge.

Im looking at the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

Im a long time owner of 1 870 20gauge and it has been extremely reliable. After compareing the 870 with the 500,I see little differance in fit,finish and build quality. Both guns have the same features plus the Moss has a ported barrel and is 50 dollars cheaper.

Ive never owned a Mossberg and know very little about them.

I have a special place in my heart for 870s but I want to get some opinions on the Moss before I buy one or the other.

Thanks a lot
Andy G

Captain Bligh
October 21, 2001, 10:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with a Mossy, except perhaps some ergonomic prefereces over safety and slide release location.

But, if I was happy with an 870, I think I'd stay with an 870. But, then when I go into a resturant, I tend to order the same thing there I liked last week. It might only be that I am very boring and lack a sense of adventure. :D Your mileage may vary.

RJ

Coronach
October 21, 2001, 11:22 PM
The main differences between the two are as follows:

The 870 has more after-market accessories, but the Mossy ain't exactly lacking in that area, either.

The Mossy has a tang safety and the 870 one on the trigger guard. Some people have a real preference about this. Supposedly if you put a pistol-gripped stock on the Mossy it will make the tang hard to reach.

The 870 is unbef***inglievably durable, while the Mossy is merely unbelievably durable. There is a difference, but you probably won't experience it in this lifetime. :D

Try them both and see, and rest assurred that either one you choose will serve you well.

Mike

PS Oh, and welcome to TFL. Ask questions. Oh, and Dave McC has a Norinco shotgun he'll sell you for cheap, just ask him. ;)

J. Parker
October 22, 2001, 12:40 AM
Ya know, I'm kinda a believer in the Rem 870's are better. Had a Rem 870 HD and it was SWEET. But if the Rem 870's will last three lifetimes and the Mossy 500's two lifetimes, where are we?
My shootin' buddies got a Mossy 500 he got for $199.95 with two barrels for cryin' out load (or is that loud?). He loves it. No problems.
Check this out. I got an old Western Field (Mossy 500) at a local pawn shop for $135 bucks. Sawed the barrel off and I'll be damned if it isn't a SWEET HD piece. How old is this thing?
Flip a coin.....

Interlude
October 22, 2001, 01:24 AM
Depends what model you get... I'd recommend an 870 over a 500 or 590, but not over the 590A1.