PDA

View Full Version : Mossy, 500 .410, is this good for Home Defense?

.410stew
October 21, 2001, 07:00 PM
I was fortunate or unfortunate to pick up a Mossberg 500 .410 at a local K-Mart for $110.00. I thought that it was a pretty good deal. I don't hear much about people relying on a .410 for Home defense. Is this a good weapon for Home Defense? If so what load, grip type, etc is recommended? Also on a related topic does anybody know of a folding stock for this Mossy? Everything I've seen pretty much fits the Mossy 500 12Ga only! Any help would be appreciated.

I also have a Hi-Point Carbine (love it) and a Marlin Papoose (havent played with yet)

Stew

Al Thompson
October 21, 2001, 07:17 PM
Hi Stew! Welcome to TFl! We are glad to have you here!

The first rule of a gunfight is "have a gun" (via Mark Morowitz). So far, your in fine shape. I would search for some of the 000 buckshot loads for the Mossberg, but you've got the first part down pat.

Many, many threads here - take a quick look at the "search" feature on the right hand side of your screen - on HD with a SG.

Mucho info here - enjoy!

Giz

Deerslayer12
September 10, 2009, 11:11 AM
i havent done much research on the 410 buckshot but im thinkin its in the 30 some caliber size thats fine i would say to kill or maim an intruder especially at close range. i think you should be fine with buckshot, i know a guy who used 7 1/2 in the new judge pistol, i wouldnt want someone shootin at me with it.:D

bozhoz
September 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
Certainly better than nothing. 3" .410 00 buckshot is generally 5, 30 cal. pellets, travelling over 1000 fps depending on barrel length. Certainly nothing to laugh at. As for grips, I would recommend steering clear of the pistol grip only set up, as it gets a little hard to control. I also do not advise the pistol grip front-end set up... the factory forend is much better suited to a fast pump action. I would recommend the full-length stocks with pistol grip setup. For true home defense, you probably should consider some sort of flashlight setup on the gun... it takes two hands to handle a long gun.

zombieslayer
September 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
You got a good deal, those guns are 227.97 @ walmart!!!! but they have the 20ga for the same price. you cant go wrong with a 500 though

ArizonaRick
September 13, 2009, 09:30 PM
I have been a weekly shotgun shooter (sporting clays, trap, skeet, 5 stand) for the past 35 years and have always invested in the higher end over and unders. I bought my eight year old son a Mossberg Bantum 500 series shotgun in 20 ga and he master the gun very quickly. It has a 22" barrel (3 choke tubes), 5 shot capacity and 13" LOP stock. For $18 you can buy the adult sock. Due to the aluminum receiver, it is very light and "quick" and points quit well. Great for clays or hunting. My wife started shooting this gun and also loves the ergonomics of the design (tang safety & shorter reach for the pump. I bought it at Wal-mart for $139 three years ago and would highly recommend it to anyone for a beginers shotgun. Buy a 20 gauge, the shells are half the price and recoils is very reasonable. Good luck - AZ Rick

SeekHer
September 14, 2009, 12:58 PM
If it's the only gun you have then it's the most perfect HD gun on the face of the earth, when you need it!

If you bought it for that use then I'm afraid you'd best exchange it for something a tad bigger, like a 20 bore minimum if you're recoil sensitive...

There are 8/9 00 buck in a 12 bore 2¾" shell and there is what 2, 3 in a .410(if you can find any)...there is 3+ drams of powder in the 12 what does the .410 have? Ammo selection sucks, powder charge sucks but it hardly has any recoil!

Keep the gun for rabbits and such and get a proper shotgun for HD or just stick to your Hi-Point carbine...

rantingredneck
September 14, 2009, 01:07 PM
Think the OP is still pondering this purchase 8 years later???:confused:

:D

riggins_83
September 14, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not 100% sure this thread is worth revival.. :eek:

mp25ds4
September 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
a 500 of any sort for 110 $ is a good deal