PDA

View Full Version : Low/High Base - What's it mean?

cbjessee@NH
October 12, 2001, 05:36 AM
I'd appreciate learning what the difference between low base and high base shotgun ammunition means. Thanks.
BRET

Dave McC
October 12, 2001, 05:59 AM
It's a holdover from the early days of breechloaders,like the Dram equivalent thing.

High brass meant high pressure, low low.High brass shells are usually loaded with heavier shot charges, and more powder. Low brass shells are target loads or for stuff that dies easy, like dove or quail.

Back in the days of no limits,everyone handloaded the all brass shells of the time and sallied forth with the More IS Better Principle in mind. When paper cases were introduced, the high brass was adverstised as a safety feature. No truth in it, but it was a good way to tell shells apart w/o having to peer at the markings.

HTH...

DLF
October 13, 2001, 11:20 AM
Bret,

Since you did not reply to Dave's post, I have a question and a statement. Dave's summation was a good one and explained about High Brass and Low Brass shotshells. My question is, have you been reading about "reloading" low base and high base shotshell hulls? This is a totally different subject.

Good Shooting,

cbjessee@NH
October 13, 2001, 07:29 PM
I should have said that my question stemmed from a mention on the Van Comp web site that their 11-87 modified shotguns only take High Base ammunition. As I never saw High Base on a box of shells (maybe I wasn't looking close enough) I was just wondering ...

BRET

DLF
October 13, 2001, 08:10 PM
10-4 Bret,

Good Shooting!