PDA

View Full Version : anyone

Viperbl1
October 10, 2001, 12:54 AM
I've been looking at the "specialty" and "exotic"{ ammo, from some links on old threads. Has anyone tried any of these? Are they safe for my Benelli? Dragons Breath, Bolos, chains, incendiary etc. Results? Thanks! 9I'm very curious.

CW

Dave McC
October 10, 2001, 07:25 AM
Some of it will mess up your bore, some will just use up your money.

Standard ammo will do the job, and the fireworks show on July 4th should suffice if you want special effects.

Instead of wasting your cash on that stuff, buy a case of target loads.Use up,repeat. After several reps,you'll be amazed at your improvement.

Viperbl1
October 10, 2001, 09:40 AM
Any recommendations on target loads, or what to look for in a good target load? Or should I just use trial and error to see what works best for me?

Dave McC
October 10, 2001, 03:43 PM
Depending on what you want to do, there's a zillion choices out there. For familiarization, any of the cheapo promo loads work well. IOW, get whatever's cheapest, and use it up.

If you settle into a clay game , skeet usually calls for 9s, trap 7 1/2-8 1/2s, and Sporting Clays shot is all of of the above.

For casual practice and fun, the promo loads. The 1 oz stuff sold often as "Dove" loads is good. Once into the learning curve, trap loads with their superior components make sense. None of these loads are heavy, and your Benelli should digest them with aplomb.

One outstanding load, IME, is the Winchester AA Heavy Target load, 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz. These in 7 1/2 are an excellent dove load, and even work well on pheasant over a close working dog. Like trap loads should, they pattern tight and hit fairly hard. A good choice for trap.

If it's "Serious" shotgunning you're into, add a buck load and maybe a slug load, but still do a lot of your practicing with the target and fie4ld loads.

Old threads here can advise you on buck and slug choices, and how to determine what the optimum load for your mission is.

HTH....

STEVE M
October 10, 2001, 04:41 PM
Viper, Listen to Dave, he knows of what he speaks!

K80Geoff
October 10, 2001, 05:17 PM
The best cheap loads out there are the Federal Value Packs sold at Wall Mart. They come in boxes of 100. If you catch Wall Mart at the right time they often are on sale.

These shells are as good as any of the premium shells. They only come in #8 and #7.5 however.

Geoff Ross

Dave McC
October 11, 2001, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Steve. The check's in the mail(G)...

Geoff has it right, as usual. The Fed promo stuff is high quality components in a one shot case. Had I noet started reloading for trap, I'd probably use these, and buy a truckload of them when on sale.

Dr.Rob
October 11, 2001, 11:20 PM
Scary thing Dave, Walmart's sales can be so good, it beats the price of reloading.

Indeed, rather than play with "wonder bullets" in your Benelli, its better to practice and practice often. Like many I use Federal trap loads, but I've had good luck with Fiocchi as well. I use a #8 load at 3 drams eq for practice.

For slugs, I like winchester 23/4 in 1 oz maximum rifled deer slugs, no sabots, no gimmicks. Again, wal-mart sells them cheap 2-3 bucks a box of five.

The only 3 inch load I really like is an old remington #4 load, its an old goose load, but its a hell of a turkey or HD load.

SpazzTrap
October 12, 2001, 01:28 AM
And I don't mean suck...I mean smell bad;)

I normally pick up targets loads at Big5 (usually Fiocci 1 1/8 ,7 1/2s) and they do fine. I also shoot a lot of the 7/8 oz Winchester SuperSpeeds for 16 yard Trap.

I was at Wally's World the other day to get some 20 gauge for the wife and picked up a couple hundred of the cheapy Feds because they were out of Winnies.

I shot a hundred Tuesday night and they pattern fine and hit hard and cycle great, but they stink. I think the powder in them smells to high heaven. I also think they smoke way more than the Fioccis.

Maybe I should have titled this: Best smelling Factory Loads.

What do you guys think?

Dave McC
October 12, 2001, 05:52 AM
Every now and then I get a box or two of shells that reek of brimstone. Fiocchi seems susceptible to this, so does Federal and the few S&B I've tried. I guess they get their nitrates and nitrides less refined. A small matter....

Rob, that Win slug is a favorite. While all 12 ga slugs are effective, the HP version of these makes very short blood trails and fearsome entry and exit wounds. A friend saw me insert one into a yearling's shoulder at around 25-35 yards and thought that I was using some LE only exploding projectile! That entry wound was 3 fingers wide, and I've big fingers.