PDA

View Full Version : Rem 11-48 28g -- source for barrel?

ammo dave
October 9, 2001, 12:48 PM
I recently inherited a nice old Rem 11-48 in 28g that I'm considering using as an alternative home defense gun. (My primary is an S&W M65) Would 28g be a serious defense load? If so, I need to locate a used barrel that I can shorten to 18+". The Remington is just too nice to chop the existing barrel. Comments? Source for barrel?

Dave McC
October 9, 2001, 01:23 PM
Extra 28 ga bbls for the 11-48 are scarcer than saints in COngress. You might try Gun Parts Corp, Stan Baker Bbls, or even Remington. Good luck with the cruel joke they call customer service.

28 ga will almost certainly work at HD, but ammo selection is miniscule. While small shot will work at very close range, there's a case for larger shot and buck,if civil disturbances, catastrophes, etc, are on the radar.

Get a beater riot gun for HD and keep that little gem for quail, skeet, and just plain fun.

ammo dave
October 9, 2001, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. Although not a big shotgun fan, I do have a 20 and a couple of 12s in my safe. I just thought the light, low recoil 28 might make a nice house gun.

Dave McC
October 10, 2001, 06:44 AM
You're welcome, Dave. If this was a 28 ga Youth Express, I'd say go for it. But, they do not make these anymore, and it is a family gun, right?

Let's play with the concept of a 28 ga "Serious" shotgun. Using that Express, with it's 21" bbl, weight would run about 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. Since neither buck nor slugs seem to be available for the 28, let's posit a 5/8 or 3/4 oz load of 7 1/2 shot as ammo of choice. There are up to 1 oz loads on the market, but we want this piece to be usable by the elderly, infirm, or those who just hate recoil.

As to effect, what we have with the light load is a super Glaser Safety Slug, 300 gr plus,1150-1300 FPS, 50 cal plus, with "prefragmented" load. For HD, it oughta work well.

These should work OK in your shotgun, if you can live with the slightly longer bbl. IIRC, that one came with a 25" bbl as standard, like the 410 version.