PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Browning Value

fmjcafe
October 7, 2001, 04:51 PM
My Father in Law has given my daughter a Belgian made Browning Light 12 and I am trying to determine the value of it.I checked a few of the auction sights and have seen quite a range of prices.Let me describe the piece.

Honey colored wood in excellent condition,blueing is 98%,some wear on the gold trigger,VR barrel of unknown choke appox. 28",2-3/4"chamber,black plastic FN butt plate.

I have no idea when it was manufactured but it belonged to his father.Can this be determined by the serial number?Also I have seen reference being made to round knob and flat knob.What is this all about?Any help will be greatly appreciated.

fmjcafe
October 8, 2001, 07:50 PM
No Browning experts out there?

C.R.Sam
October 8, 2001, 09:53 PM
There is a nearly infinate combination of models, features and grades that could fit your description.

If practicable, visit your friendly pawn shop or gun dealer and ask to see their copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values. If current copy (22nd edition) start at page 311. It will also tell you how to read the codes for choke designation.

Before giving the book back.....go to page 1554 to use your serial # to date the gun.

There is just way too much information on em to do justice with a post. And that is not the only book with Browning info.

Enjoy, Sam

Captain Bligh
October 8, 2001, 10:13 PM
I have a Browning A5 Light 20. The value? I consider it to be priceless.

It's an absolutely wonderful gun that Browning had the stupidity (IMHO) to stop making. I rank it as the best semi-auto shotgun ever made.

Absolutely priceless.

RJ

fmjcafe
October 9, 2001, 05:56 AM
Ok,thanks folks.

Captain Bligh
October 9, 2001, 06:34 AM
Round knob vs. flat knob has to do with the shape of the bottom of the pistol grip. I'm not sure which is considered more valuable.

I'm sorry I can't help you on the value. Mine is so valuable to me, I'm never selling it.

RJ

fmjcafe
October 9, 2001, 11:26 AM
Thanks RJ.This ones a round knob.

stickman
October 9, 2001, 03:01 PM
my mother in law gave me
"dads old shotgun"
turned out to be a 1954
lt 12 mint cond
it is a definite keeper

i have seen these sell
anywhere from 250-500

NoVAlooker
November 24, 2001, 04:28 PM
If you go to the Browning web page, there is a link that lets you date the age of your firearm.

As far as value - something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it. No matter what someone quotes as a value, unless you find someone willing to pay it, its not the real price. Best bet is to check with Browning as well as some firearm action houses (probably not the internet auctions since you described a browning custom shop model )

BADSBSNF81
November 24, 2001, 07:20 PM
If you post the SN (xing out the last two or three) and any bbl markings or receiver markings I'll check some refs and date it, it you haven't done so. Value in the 350 range or whatever your location will bring. HTH

Jeffet
November 25, 2001, 01:43 AM
Around these parts, mid-Atlantic US, an A5 like the one you describe brings around $450-500...

Jeffet

Al Thompson
November 25, 2001, 11:45 AM
It seems to be a regional thing.... Here in SC, Brownings are highly valued - that one would be a $500 and up shotgun.

Giz