PDA

View Full Version : Large head safetys and other modifications?

Sidetracker
October 7, 2001, 10:08 AM
I just bought a Remington 870 for home defense and maybe some hunting and was curious about these large head safetys I've seen advertised. Is a stock safety hard to use in a serious situation? Are there other modifications that will enhance this gun for defensive use?

Dave McC
October 7, 2001, 11:59 AM
An absolutely stock 870 in cool, trained hands is an awesome close range weapon.Instead of bells, whistles, etc, spend your money on ammo and range fees for ONE year.Then, you'll be in a much better position to choose what will aid you and what will just suck cash from your wallet.

Maybe half the accessorized "Serious" shotguns I see have the bighead safeties. I figure that the easier it is to take it off or on, the easier it is to get moved off/on w/o your knowledge. In all these years, never had a prob with the standard one, but I may be in the minority there.

A few range sessions using the safety on every shot will have you clicking it on and off like a vet.

HD shotguns have been a really well chewed subject here. A bit of time in the Archives will give you plenty of opinions, some of which are informed ones.

Ehornad
October 7, 2001, 02:26 PM
Get the barrel Vang Comp'd!

You get 12" pattern at 25yds, yet you can change back and forth from slug to shot without finding your chokes down range.

MMC sights are worth every penny too!

PJR
October 7, 2001, 02:43 PM
I have a oversized safety on my 870 but not for home defense but for deer hunting. It's easier to take the safey off while putting your finger into the trigger guard. For HD the gun is chamber empty, hammer down and the gun is racked before firing. Better sights, a mag extension and a side saddle are the only other modifications I've made.

Dfariswheel
October 7, 2001, 09:39 PM
I've seen some shotguns so over-accessorised you had trouble lifting them, much less swinging one.

A magazine extender is nice, as is your choice of sight. I'd stay away from the more radical items like pistol grips, or folding stocks.

Adding all the bells and whistles to a shotgun is kind of like putting chrome bumpers on a King Tiger tank. The owner may like it, but it's kind of "guilding the lily".

NoDak
October 9, 2001, 07:26 PM
Who stocks the oversized safety?

Dfariswheel
October 10, 2001, 12:39 AM
Large safeties:
Brownell's and Wilson's.

JNewell
October 10, 2001, 05:48 AM
Also Vang Comp, www.vangcomp.com

He's got the biggest bighead safety I've seen -- very easy to disengage without changing trigger finger index/position (at least with my pretty big hands).