PDA

View Full Version : 870 barrel swap????

Opie-IN
October 6, 2001, 02:00 AM
I have 2 brand new 870s and want to do some switching around.

The first 870 is the express deer gun, 20" smoothbore with rifle sights.

Then I picked up a synthetic express, 18" bead sight, and factory extended mag tube.

This is what I want to do.....I think. Put the 20" rifle sight barrel on the syn 870 with extended mag tube. (which I should have just ordered in the first place)

Thing is, I cant figure out how to take off the barrel of the 870 with the extended tube, the regular tubed 870 comes off easy, is there a trick to taking off the extended mag thing, or am I a wuss? I cant turn it by hand. The manual doesnt show any instructions for removing the extended mag tube version.

Thanks for making me smart!

esims
October 6, 2001, 04:52 AM
Twist like hell

Dave McC
October 6, 2001, 06:22 AM
The extensions I have use a threaded collar to take the place of the mag cap. If it's a bit tight, pad a set of channelock jaws and gently urge it loose. Once reinstalled,handtighten same and use the channelocks again to take it ONE click past hand tight.This tightens slug groups no end, and reduces the headspace.

Chances are, you'll end up with extensions on both of those. Swapping parts gets old....

Snow Man
October 6, 2001, 06:25 AM
How's that saying go now, "righty tighty, lefty loosy." :D It should be threaded on so counterclockwise should do the trick. A set of slip joint pliers with a folded rag to protect the metal might help too.

Opie-IN
October 6, 2001, 08:25 AM
OK, thanks, I just wanted to make sure that it should turn where I thought it should turn.

8200 rpm
October 6, 2001, 11:46 PM
Just remember to remove the barrel band/front sling swivel mount. Idiots like me sometimes try to twist off the mag extension without doing that. It helps.