PDA

View Full Version : Hijacking alternative

Fred Hansen
October 5, 2001, 04:42 PM
Don't know if this has already been posted or not. Col. Oliver North came up with an excellent suggestion on his radio show yesterday. He says he always tries to sit near the emergency exits on the plane, and if all else failed to stop a terrorist takeover one might:

1. Tighten ones seat belt

2. reach down and grab the handle

3. Yank!

4. Watch as the terrorist goes outside at 35,000 feet through the miracle of explosive decompression. :D

(caution this should only be done as a last ditch effort to keep the plane from being used as a guided missle; you also might want to try to catch any flight attendants etc... that might go zooming by)

Might not be the best way to stop them but almost anything has to be better than the deaths of innocents on the ground. At the very least it will set off a number of alarms in the cockpit and possibly be enough to distract the terrs away from their goals until interceptors can arrive.

Quaedam non iura scripta sed omnibus scriptis certiora sunt

Some laws are unwritten, but they are better established than all written ones

PreserveFreedom
October 5, 2001, 05:22 PM
Sounds like something worth trying. :D:D:D

Brian Killing Tangos
October 5, 2001, 06:21 PM
I'm going to test it on the ground just to see people's faces!

ICBentley
October 6, 2001, 03:24 AM
I am told that emergency doors open inward. Air pressure keeps them from opening while the cabin is pressurized.

Bentley

C.R.Sam
October 6, 2001, 08:05 PM
I know for fact that at least some of the entrance/exit doors can be opened in flight. Talk about a big air leak !!. In one instance the attendant that did it went out.....in another, nobody went out. Both occurances while at altitude.

Sam

johnblackstone
October 9, 2001, 08:36 PM
Normally, they cannot be opened when the cabin is pressurized. In all commercial aircraft I have flown (727, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80, and 777) all doors are plug type doors, meaning that air pressure keeps them closed until depressurized, shortly after landing or just before takeoff.

In the 777, the main entry doors are also locked physically as the aircraft accelerates through 80 knots.

Col. North's strategy is not workable.

Fred Hansen
October 9, 2001, 10:31 PM
Rats!:(