PDA

View Full Version : shooting steel thru a turkey choke

zauer
October 3, 2001, 02:50 PM
Hi All,

I was on the Remington website when I came across the choke spec page.

http://www.remington.com/accessories/chokspec.htm

Is this saying that I can only shoot lead out of my 'turkey extended x-full' choke? What about steel, tungsten, or bismuth?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Joe

Bud1
October 3, 2001, 04:24 PM
Tungsten and Steel are extremely hard, and absolutely will not deform as they pass through the barrel/choke of a shtogun. They can literally blow out a barrel if compressed too tightly, so most choke manufacturers recommend that you go no tighter than a true .025 (improved modified) for these harder shots. especially in the larger shot sizes (BB and larger)

Bismuth is brittle, and will not cause barrel problems, but it will fracture and produce more flyers than high antimony lead loads.

Try your loads out on a patterning board. You will find that you will get "full choke" patterns from somewhere around a .020 (modified) choke with Steel and Tungsten. I would not run these through an extended full turkey choke.

Good luck,

Bud

HK1
October 3, 2001, 05:09 PM
I do not know if you intend to use steel shot for turkey hunting..maybe I read too much into your post..however..if you value your life..NEVER use steel shot to hunt turkeys..the lesson gleamed from this if you decide to do so may be short lived..only use lead shot when turkey hunting....BUD is also correct..not a good idea to run steel thru a turkey choke...HK-out

Guyon
October 3, 2001, 11:46 PM
These guys are on the money. No steel in an XF choke. However, Remington does make a full choke designed to handle either lead or steel. In fact, it says so right on the choke. Might do okay for turkey, but mostly these chokes are used by duck hunters.

Dave McC
October 4, 2001, 06:34 AM
Back when steel first came in, I patterned a few rounds at 40 yards using a Polychoke set for IC. Patterns were nigh identical to a Modified setting.

Even if the maker says you can, I'd be hesitant to use that tight a choke as Full with steel. Try some patterns with Modified and IC frst.

Bud1
October 4, 2001, 08:23 AM
Don't rely on the manufacturer's choke "name." I've seen chokes marked "modified" that run anywhere from .008 to .022.

The only accurate way to measure actual choke constriction is to mike the barrel of the shotgun as well as the choke.

Chokes maked "Full - Steel" are typically in the "modified" constriction range, hence the recommendation that they be used for steel shot.