PDA

View Full Version : Not an inch to spare...

Coop de Ville
October 3, 2001, 08:21 AM
For kicks, I measured my 870 police barrel last night. I always thought it was 18.5" for some reason. Well, it's not a hair over 18". Talk about cutting it close! Makes me nervous that someone in authority might have a not-so-perfect tape if they ever measured it :)

Q- Why 18" on a SG and 16" on a rifle?

Thanks, -Coop

Dave McC
October 3, 2001, 09:23 AM
Bureaucracy,Coop. Clyde Barrow and other Depression era social blemishes were fond of sawing off the bbls of Remington Model 11 shotguns, shortening the back end and producing what was referred to as a "Whippet", as in whip it out and shoot quick.

If they had been as fond of 92 Winchester carbines cut to that length, we'd not have some very nice little saddle/truck carbines.16" was a popular bbl length back then for the Border Patrol's saddle guns. 44-40 and 38-40 were common calibers.

The proper, Govt approved method of measuring bbls is to ensure the shotgun is empty, and close the action. Drop a dowel down the bbl and mark it at the muzzle. Measure this. The Govt measures to the face of the breech.

BTW, overall length has to be more than 27".

Al Thompson
October 3, 2001, 05:23 PM
As I understand it, the GCA '68 was to make 18 inch barrels universal until someone realized the M1 Carbine is about 17 inches and many rifles (M92 Winchesters) were made with 16 inch barrels.

Hence the difference.

Giz

Cavè Canem
October 3, 2001, 06:52 PM
My buddies AR-15 is a 16" shorty carbine.... And legal :D

Dave McC
October 4, 2001, 06:29 AM
I've heard similar, Giz, but the legislation started in the 30s,hence it's much more likely those gangsters were the root. Same legislation banned "Machine " guns from open purchase.