PDA

View Full Version : hi cap shotgun

Liquid
September 30, 2001, 10:34 PM
I know this might sound dumb but is there any such thing as a hi cap mag for shotguns. if so what shot gun hold the most bullets. and would anythgin be availbe for a remington 870.
thanks
philip

Edward429451
September 30, 2001, 11:29 PM
You are in luck. They make 7, 8, and 10 round mag extensions for the 870. www.deltaforce.com comes to mind first, there are lots of others. I put the 10 round extension on mine, it holds 10 +1 2.75" shells, or 9 + 1 3" shells, or 8 + 1 3" Slugs!

Very nice. Very comforting. They make a pistol gripped stock that holds 4 extra rounds in the butt, 2 on each side. and the sidesaddle thing that holds 6 extra shells on the side of the receiver.

Dig around a little for shotgun accessories, lotsa places sell them.

PreserveFreedom
October 1, 2001, 12:29 AM
If you can find one, there used to be a semi-auto 12ga called the "Streetsweeper". It held 25 shells. However, I think that BATF has classified it as a Class III weapon, so plan on paying a lot and jumping through hoops.

HK1
October 1, 2001, 07:05 AM
franchi made one called the spas 15...expect to pay close to 5 grand for one...i believe only about 180 were imported before the BATF figured out what was going on

jb26
October 1, 2001, 09:04 AM
I am not an expert on the law, but I believe that with pump guns with tubular magazines, there is no maximum limit on rounds. So basically you are restricted by the length of barrel/magazine combination

If you are talking about a semi auto, which you did not mention, there are restrictions I believe, related to the assault weapons ban.

Edward429451
October 1, 2001, 01:12 PM
Dont even think about getting a StreetSweeper, they're junk. I owned one and it wasnt even reliable enough to go to the range without embarassment, let alone combat.
It held 12 shells in a rotating drum mag, 2.75" only, no mag ammo of any type.

If you want a semi auto, go for the Rem 11/87, and put the extended tube mag on it. Its the same tube mag as for the 870.

Dave McC
October 1, 2001, 02:47 PM
Liquid, an absolutely stock quality pump gun like the 870 Remington, Model 37-87 Ithaca, various Winchesters, Mossies, etc, is an amazing close quarter weapon, even at a 4+1 capacity.

While my "Serious" 870s have 2-3 shot extensions, it's not that I believe the 4+1 is inadequate. A couple other good reasons for an extension include better recoil control from the extra weight and tighter slug groups.

And ,let's face it, any situation that a cool head and a 4+1 pump gun are not sufficient to reduce the threat level to near zero PDQ is probably not going to be handled by a 7+1 gun. More likely, a squad of heavily armed Marines would be a better choice(G).

A bare bones serious shotgun for you would be something like a nice used police turnin 870. Make sure it's reliable, and use it on one of the clay games until it feels comfortable. All of a sudden, you're safe, proficient, and well armed.Hunt with it, it's a great quail gun.

Shoot it like that for a year. After that time, and some shells, you'll have a better idea of what'll help you and what will just take your money.

As far as mods and upgrades, I'd get one at a time, and spend more on ammo and range fees than on mods. Then, I'd go for these in this loose order....

Stock fit.

A good recoil pad if not so equipped.

Trigger work, if needed.

Better sights, if needed. Much good work has been done with a plain bead.

A mag extension, and I think the two round extension makes a lot of sense, regardless of bbl length.It feels like more,but not too much weight.

Choke and forcing cone work. The choke may be fine for your intended purposes, but most forcing cones will improve patterns if lengthened. There's slightly lessened recoil from this,but it's a minor gain.

There, sling studs, a Tac lite, and other personal touches are all that's needed for a General Purpose shotgun and some that's just nice to have.

HTH....

KSFreeman
October 1, 2001, 03:11 PM
PF, Lord Bentsen reclassified Str-12s and Streetsweepers as Title II weapons (Class 3 refers to dealer type, not weapon--I know, pet peeve) as DDs as they are MC greater than .50 calibre. Nice to know now any shotgun can be declared a DD. Well, it's for the children. 25 shells!!! Arms of Arnold! You thinking of the USAS maybe?

My assessment of the Streetsweeper reflects Ed's. Worthless junk (hard ot tact reload). Buy an 870, put ghostrings and a light on it and then go to school. Long magazines springs bind at inopportune times.

Intel6
October 3, 2001, 12:59 PM
Choat used to also make 12 rd extensions for Remingtons and some smiths made some 15 round extensions for the Remintons. Theses were basically for shooting shotgun matches where you started with a loaded gun so the more you could start with the better.

I like Sg's a lot and when I found a 12 rd extension I just had to have it. I also have a line on a 15 round version also.

PreserveFreedom
October 3, 2001, 04:27 PM
You thinking of the USAS maybe?
Probably. It's one of those fantasy weapons I'll never own due to gov't regulations.

scouter27
October 3, 2001, 05:00 PM
I don't know of any shotgun that holds any bullets. Some .410's shoot .45 LC, I guess that counts

Benjamin
October 3, 2001, 06:39 PM
Scouter - nope, that's backwards. The firearms are chambered for .45 LC, but those that are intended for both calibers (T/C barrels, some derringers) have the chamber cut longer to accept the .410 shell.

Don't fire a .45LC in a .410 shotgun, the pressure of .45LC is higher.

Highest capacity shotgun I can think of is the USAS - drum fed, 22 rounds. Got to fire on on full auto - fun, but not practical.

hksigwalther
October 3, 2001, 06:39 PM
Choate and TacStar make 10 round extended aftermarket mags for most of the shotgun manufacturers. Can't recall of Scattergun Technologies makes a 10 rounder or not. I had a Tacstar on my 11-87 but the tube portion of the mag had a tendency to back out of the threaded collar that attaches it to the gun. (It's friction fitted to the collar.) I have since replaced it with the Choate model with no problems since. In both cases, I could only fit 9 rounds in them (+1 in the chamber = 10). I replaced the retaining plug of the Choate with a flat washer instead of the plastic insert, used the stock follower and can now fit 10.

Benelli is the only manufacturer that manufactures a shotgun that holds ten rounds in stock form. The M1Super90 Practical, named after the shooting event that required (or made life easier with a) high mag capacity as mentioned above.